Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DogparkSDR, MacLoggerDX, Auido Devices, fldigi and WSTJ-X Setup Guide? (Feb 2019)

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
As of Feb 2019 do we have a good resource to set up a remote 6000 station, including digital programs on a current iMac ? Having been asked to help set one up, I’m at multiple impasses on my own test iMac, and have found the available documentation out of date, sketchy or simply doesn’t work. Some looks like issues installing onto a fresh system rather than one that had earlier software versions and was incrementally upgraded. Others may be feature set changes in the current versions. Is there a good current how to do it guide? Something that covers all the steps? Thanks and 73 Steve K9ZW

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    There are a bunch of people doing just this, but I don't think I've ever seen a comprehensive guide. I wrote a guide to setting up Fldigi with xDax, xCat, and either dogParkSDR or an M model radio in a Community thread, and I alluded to setting up wsjt-x, but did not go into detail. Perhaps it's time to complete the full guide. Ted VE3TRQ
  • Bill Carnett
    Bill Carnett Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    On this thread you'll get a lot of excellent ideas.  Lot's of techno-geniuses out there.  Just don't get frustrated.  I spent 4 years running my 6500 with iMac.....sometimes worked well.  MacLoggerDX was the main reason I continued.  However, just too many intermittent issues...for this techno-**** to deal with.  Switched to a new Windows 10 machine, dedicated to the radio a few months ago.  I'm still a big time techno-****, but the 6500 and now Maestro likes the real Windows better...no more hiccups.  Using Ham Radio Deluxe now....not as good as MacLogger but not bad.  My point?  If you're a techno-****, you'll do great.  If not, don't get frustrated....Flexradio works perfect on Windows and is still the best radio out there. Aloha, 
    Bill, AH6FC
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited June 2020
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    thanks, Don
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I’ve been unable to transition from dogparkSDR that was running at the old QTH on a LAN to remote using SmartLink over the net. Have needed to use SmartSDR for iOS to force disconnection of the remote 6700 left “in use” but nonfunctional working with dogparkSDR as I’ve not found the same level of SmartLink connection management available in dogparkSDR. Some of the recommended software to handle the audio and control side is sketchy. Current versions of SoundSiphon have a revamped GUI and have apparently renamed the Virtual Output while dropped direct access to the output side. Couldn’t get xDAX or xCAT to function, most likely as some of the complicated installation steps are not consistent in later versions of macOS. I’m sure given enough dedicated time I could get things closer to working or maybe just be out another couple hours. I am very certain that the present smattering of scattered incomplete and out of date directions would not help the average iMac user get things running. Actually doing a fresh install on a Windows machine to set up a working remote digital station is a dawdle when contrasted to the present state of the art getting going on macOS. I’m really hoping that improved, updated and comprehensive directions matched with improved software packages puts the advantages back to a macOS setup as is typical of so many macOS packages. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    As a Mac User, I didn't have much trouble getting everything to work. I could tell you how I have it set up after I get home from vacation in a week or so - at that point I can help if no one can here.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Or you can just use Windows - you'll have more problems in the long run, but if ease of setting up is your most important goal, sounds like you now have the solution you want. - 73 Mike N3LI -
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I find I use everything but my Linux shack computer for my 6600M. iPad for casual use pretty well anywhere, an old MacBook Air when I want to casually do some digital, Windows 10 laptop when I need a bit more processing power and a bigger screen (and it runs NMEATime with a USB GPS unit to synchronize the clock in the field). I have a nice big iMac with multiple screens as my main computer for driving the 6600M at home. MacLoggerDX is a big reason for using Macs. In the end, everything works well, and I use the hardware / operating system that meets my needs. And having an "M" model certainly helps in running a laptop for digital modes when I take the Flex with me somewhere. Now and again, knobs help :-)
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Mike N3LI - please put me on your list when you’re back. I’d like to whittle down what is needed into a quick guide others can follow. Thanks & 73. Steve K9ZW NB - I do have remote running well with SmartSDR for iOS on both an iPad & iPhone, and remote well with both Win10 & Win7 PCs. Also remote well by Maestro both via SmartLink and VPN. Just not getting it running with macOS.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I can't comment on the relative connection management capabilities of dogparkSDR versus SSDR, but I sure can make a comment on SoundFlower and SoundSiphon as compared to Loopback for sound management and routing.. I tried SoundSiphon and had lots of audio artifacts in the stream. SoundFlower was just not up to the task, hard to find, hard to configure, although people do say it can work (it's the free version upon which Loopback is based). Loopback was a revelation - it just worked, although I did find I had to reboot the MacBook before it was trouble-free. It's only downside is you need to fork over $99 :-( I suppose there will be those who say both of the other tools are up to the task, but I found that not the case.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.