Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to set up microphone on remote

Maurice PC9T
Maurice PC9T Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have moved my Flex 6500 to the attic and work now remote thru LAN with my NUC server.

In digimodes everything is working fine.

But for SSB it's another storie, i have a Heil proset 5 plugged into a club 3.0 dockingstation that's connected to my NUC server. And use the soundcard that's build in the dockingstation.

In the flex software (V2.4.9) in P/CW i set mic into PC when i go to TX thru MOX and i speak on the level meter there's some action but not much and on the RF meter only when i whistle i see 80 watts comming on the scale.

When i activate MON i don't hear myself so i can't hear nothing what i put into the air.

SO my question is the proset 5 usable in this setup or must i use another microphone such as a USB microphone and why don't hear myself thru the MON function.

Answers

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is my understanding.....

The MON Function repeats to the Headphone and to she speaker outputs and not to the PC.

However you might be able to tap into the DAX Audio TX.  I have done this locally at my PC while not running remote by using "Virtual Audio Cable" and mixing the RX Audio and the "DAX Audio TX" together.  I am not certain this works in remote.....

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yea you wont hear your self on the PC speakers using the MON function.
    The Proset 5 should work fine, Go into your Sound card settings and Make sure the Default recording device is your intended source and make sure it's level is up, there you should see the audio fluctuate on the MIC input Sometimes they have a 20DB click box that you may need to have on and if you turn on the sound device Monitor settings to (Listen) you should hear your self on the Computer speakers (some sound card devices don't have these setting). 

Remember the Audio input / output is NOW from the Computer sound card so some things work differently and the computer has everything to do with your audio now. 

I have ran my station remotely like your doing for well over a year so once you get it, it works very well.

Just a heads up, If your audio has popping on it or is scratchy RX or TX try a different sound card,  it took me a while to find a really good sound device that works well with the flex that doesn't cost a arm and a leg the best one I found for the money is the Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 USB sound device.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited June 2020
    Hi Bret,

If i buy a Soundblaster Play 3 USB sound Device, then it's possible to use the MON functie in SSB.

In Digimode it's no problem then i hear the sound of digital sounds thru the speakers.

But to properly setup the Flex in SSB it;'s handy to hear youre own voice.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    NO the MON on the radio only works when you have a MIC on the Radio.

You have to use the MON in the sound card settings.

73's
    Bret

• Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited June 2020
    Brett, i try to understand it, but whats the diffrence between Digimodes that i can hear thru the MON of the flex software, and not hearing the microphone thru the MON.

That's a point that i don't understand.

My set up is as folow:

The Flex 6500 is at the attic and in my LAN network.

I use a NUC server in the livingroom and connect thru LAN in the same network the Flexradio.

On the NUC server there is no soundcard in and i doesn't have enough USB ports so i use a Club USB 3.0 dockingstation wit a soundcard (displaylink audio) in on this dockingstation i plugged in the Heil headset.

In windows10 i use as output source the LG ultrawide Intel (R) display audio, and in SmartSDR i activate the PC audio button and then i hear whats on the flex.

I use a LG monitor with HDMI between the monitor and NUC server..

When i do rtty or PSK and use the MON function in the SmartSDR i do hear the digital sounds of the mode thru the speakers of the LG monitor.

But with SSB i don't hear the modulation when i use the MON.

But when i understand it right if i buy a Sound Blaster Play 3 en i use it for my Heil headset the i can use the MON function of the soudblaster and can i hear my modulation if it's sounds good or bad?

So i only wan't to understand why something not works, and search for a solution that it makes possible that i  can hear myself during the MON function.

Not that i am glad to hear myself :-) but to hear to audio is clean.

And maybe is a USB computer headset a better solution then the Heil headset, but het heil set i already have for many years and i did use it on the front mic connector of the Flex, and that worked.
    But with another setup it's not possible to use the front mic. connectio of the Flex.

But is the solution is that it can work with the Soudblaster 3.0 play then i'am happy and will buy and use it.

SO i hope that i get the info why it doen't work with this setup i use right now.

73's Maurice

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I'll try to answer your questions WITH CAPS ON to set my answers apart from your questions

Brett, i try to understand it, but whats the diffrence between Digimodes that i can hear thru the MON of the flex software, and not hearing the microphone thru the MON.

That's a point that i don't understand.
    BECAUSE REMOTE PC MIC AUDIO DOESN'T USE DAX AS THE DIGITAL PROGRAMS DO AND FLEX HAS NOT IMPLEMENTED IT YET..

My set up is as folow:

The Flex 6500 is at the attic and in my LAN network.

I use a NUC server in the livingroom and connect thru LAN in the same network the Flexradio.

On the NUC server there is no soundcard in and i doesn't have enough USB ports so i use a Club USB 3.0 dockingstation wit a soundcard (displaylink audio) in on this dockingstation i plugged in the Heil headset.

I ALSO RUN A NUC AND HAVE DONE FOR SEVERAL YEARS, LIKE I SAID BEFORE IF THE SOUND CARD IS PRETTY HIGH QUALITY THEN IT SHOULD WORK FINE. IF IT HAS POPPING OR SCRATCHIE AUDIO I WOULD GO WITH THE ONE I RECOMMENDED.

In windows10 i use as output source the LG ultrawide Intel (R) display audio, and in SmartSDR i activate the PC audio button and then i hear whats on the flex.

I use a LG monitor with HDMI between the monitor and NUC server..

When i do rtty or PSK and use the MON function in the SmartSDR i do hear the digital sounds of the mode thru the speakers of the LG monitor.

But with SSB i don't hear the modulation when i use the MON.
    BECAUSE REMOTE PC MIC AUDIO DOESN'T USE DAX AS THE DIGITAL DO.

But when i understand it right if i buy a Sound Blaster Play 3 en i use it for my Heil headset the i can use the MON function of the soudblaster and can i hear my modulation if it's sounds good or bad?
    NO, IT WILL NOT BE ANY DIFFERENT THEN YOUR EXISTING SOUND DEVICE AS FAR AS RADIO'S MON.

So i only wan't to understand why something not works, and search for a solution that it makes possible that i  can hear myself during the MON function.

Not that i am glad to hear myself :-) but to hear to audio is clean.

And maybe is a USB computer headset a better solution then the Heil headset, but het heil set i already have for many years and i did use it on the front mic connector of the Flex, and that worked.
    NOT NECESSARILY, DEPENDS ON THE USB HEAD SET AND IF IT HAS GOOD RADIO COMMUNICATION CHARACTERISTICS LIKE THE HEIL HEAD SET DOES FOR YOUR PARTICULAR VOICE AND HEARING. 
    REALLY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A USB HEAD SET AND THE HEIL PLUGGED INTO A USB SOUND CARD OTHER THEN AUDIO CHARACTERISTICS AS FAR AS THE RADIO AND COMPUTER MIC GOES. 

But with another setup it's not possible to use the front mic. connectio of the Flex.
    RUN A MIC CABLE TO YOUR RADIO

But is the solution is that it can work with the Soudblaster 3.0 play then i'am happy and will buy and use it. MON WON'T WORK WITH SOUND BLASTER 3.0 EITHER, AGAIN, REALLY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A USB HEAD SET AND THE HEIL PLUGGED INTO A USB SOUND CARD OTHER THEN AUDIO CHARACTERISTICS AS FAR AS THE RADIO AND COMPUTER MIC GOES. 

SO i hope that i get the info why it doen't work with this setup i use right now.
    BECAUSE REMOTE PC MIC AUDIO DOESN'T USE DAX AUDIO AS THE DIGITAL PROGRAMS DO AND FLEX HAS NOT IMPLEMENTED IT YET TO WORK WITH THE MON BUTTON, MAYBE IN VERSION 3 (WHO KNOWS).

HOPE THIS HELPS ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.

Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.