Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD 6.5.0.183 Caution

Ian1
Ian1 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
There was a release yesterday 01/17/19 of HRD 6.5.0.183 be very cautious of it.
Upon install it needs to Load VisuCalc C+++ 2017. This product alone corrupted all DAX drivers and while still installed allowed no Dax comm.
The Antenna Rotor program graphics with regard to Great Circle Disappeared.
I spent approximately 2 hours trying to recover from this mishap.

On 01/18/19 HRD sent out this

Following yesterday's release of Ham Radio Deluxe 6.5.0.183 version, we received a few calls that relate the three common points.  I wanted to take a moment to let you all know (a) what they are and (b) what needs to be done.

It's worth pointing out that we have about 25,000 users and we've received less than 50 reports total on these three topics.

Wait for a FIX don't make the mistake I did.
Best Of Luck
Ian

Comments

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thank you so much for the heads up.  Had planned on doing the upgrade this PM. I will definitely wait. 
    Bob, WK2Y

• Dave, KY0L
    Dave, KY0L Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That’s another reason you should be taking periodic image backups of your computer. If you run into problems, you can easily recover your computer back in time, to a point in time when your computer functioned perfectly. Acronis backup imaging software works very well. Your computer can easily be recovered in less than an hour after starting the recovery process. I wouldn’t use the Microsoft backup software, because the recoveries using the Microsoft sometimes fail. I wouldn’t recommend doing a factory restore either because then you have to restage all the software and configuration. It’s best to be prepared to easily recover your computer before the disaster occurs. The Acronis backup software is dirt cheap compared to going through a lot of hassles and frustration fixing computer problems. I recovered a lot of servers using backup imaging software. In business, downtime costs a lot of money before I retired. The servers I managed we’re all backed with periodic automated imaging. There was very little stress for me to recover servers. Other servers that were managed by other people weren’t protected with imaged based backup. System updates always have some risk. Sometimes updates go very bad, even after testing the updates using test servers. When the production servers needed to be recovered, those people who didn’t have image based backups, were totally stressed out, taking days to recover their servers, instead of taking 30 minutes to a few hours, of very easy work recovering servers. It makes a huge difference if you’re prepared to quickly and easily recover a computer. Most people that work in IT never learn that lesson! Dave KY0L
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Tnx ever so much from me as well! I had planned upgrade of HRD during the weekend.
  • John Wagner
    John Wagner Member
    edited January 2019
    It may be wise to not be an early adapter of updates, upgrade and the like to avoid issues like this. I almost always wait a month or so before downloading anything

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Interesting. I downloaded and installed HRD 6.5.0.183 this morning and had no issues.  I have made many FT8 contacts this morning after the install and SSDR, DAX and CAT all work fine. 
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Maybe you were already up to date with Load VisuCalc C+++ 2017?
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I don't know.  Install went fine here.  I did recently update to Windows 10 version 1809 which did break my DAX drivers.  Maybe C+++ 2017 was included in that 1809 update.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No issues here.
  • Jlawson40
    Jlawson40 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Downloaded and installed this version of HRD on two laptops with no issues. I was asked to download C+++2017 during the HRD download with no problems. I’m running Windows 7 on both machines. John ,W8AGS
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The new version didn't mess with my DAX drivers, but it did corrupt/lose  my Flex Control settings.  It also lost memory of the positioning of SSDR on my 3-monitor setup, and the PC gave me "Something went wrong and your computer needs to restart" blue screen.  It did that twice but after doing a proper shutdown of SSDR and restarting it, It seems to be OK now.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Glad some of you didn't have any troubles based on the E Mail HRD sent out I wasn't alone however.

best of Luck
    Ian
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have had no issues with the new HRD/6.5.0.183.  Windows 10/1809
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hey I work in IT and I hound the heck out of my customers to setup image and disaster recovery and provide them with many options. With a few of them its all automated hands off they don't do a thing except call me if there is an issue and most times I know that even before they do with the RMM services.. Dave is 100% spot on. It only takes 15 minutes to few hours in very large data cases to do a full restore of an image which, will have you back up and running 100% like it was before the problem. No reloading, downloading, looking for program key numbers, and re-configuring. Acronis and Macrium Reflect are two very good options. Set them up, schedule your image/differential time, test it and forget about having to do a full re install of all your programs and operating system. 
  • WF7B
    WF7B Member
    edited January 2019
    I had no problems with the update.

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I let it load C++ first,,, then I waited about 2 minutes and HRD said please reboot your computer,,, I did that.. Then after I rebooted my computer, I had to go Back In and Run the Downloaded Set-Up file.. It then did the upgrade as it had in the past.. Everything appears to be normal... Windows 10.. Also did a JAVA upgrade BEFORE I did the HRD upgrade...  Smart SDR was Closed Down, and I did a fresh re-boot with all my programs CLOSED... Then I do my upgrades...

Robert
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    so far so good here...  everything has been running all afternoon.
  • Chuck Sinclair
    edited January 2019
    Same here installed without any issues.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Last Update from HRD remember I have never contacted them about this issue only warned the Flex Community

This was in my E Mail today 1/19/19

Ham Radio Deluxe 6.5.0.184 Open Beta Given the comments from our clients regarding the 3rd party virtual serial port function in the 6.5.0.183 release of Ham Radio Deluxe, we have replaced this capability.

I'll admit - I didn't understand this well, as I don't use it.  But many folks who had SteppIR and various SDR connections were using this capability in ways that I'm glad to have learned about recently.

I made the decision to forgo the normal beta process and open this beta to all Ham Radio Deluxe users.

Download the Ham Radio Deluxe 6.5.0.184 beta here:

https://downloads.hamradiodeluxe.com/setupHRDbeta65_184.exe

IMPORTANT:

We want your feedback, however the support team doesn't support beta versions.  Here's how you can best communicate your findings.

Best Of Luck
    Ian
    KM4CQG

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ian and others HRD users,
    I downloaded v6.5.0.184  last night. 
    So far, I have not noticed any aberration and has been working well. 
    However, there has not been much of an update that applies to Flex radios.
    I sincerely hope that they improve their software for Flex equipment.

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    N1MM would have pulled it and had fix today

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.