Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SWR READING ON 6400

DonE
DonE Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Is there a calibration for the SWR meter on the 6400?

Answers

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Good point, I notice mine differs from other meters at the same point in the circuit.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No. The SWR meter is a factory calibrated lab grade instrument.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    So why did my MFJ-249C and Icom 7300 say and agree on something different at the same point in the circuit? Reminds me of the S-meter issue.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Definitely the MFJ and likely the 7300 are wrong. You need to compare against a lab grade meter like a HP
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Like the lab grade Flex S-meter that reads S6 on a dummy load.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have several lab grade power meters. For Example I have a AIM 4170 which comes with 50 ohm standard plug ins so that it can self calibrate All read the same as my 6700 within measurement error of the devices. All SWR Meters that have a “Calibration” knob are by definition uncalibrated relative Meters designed to give approximations and are not accurate We have already wasted enough time discussing how absurd it is for an erroneous reading of S0 on a dummy load if the radio is Not Hearing -127dBM While I understand you enjoy beating this dead horse, Frankly I am far too busy enjoying good wine here in Paris to continue this absurd discussion By the way. None of the above is intended as an insult but life is far too short to waste it on frivolity
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What a coincidence - our contest station has prompted an SWR discussion with the 160 meter contest this weekend. A fellow is running QRP so he wanted the antenna as good an SWR as possible. Measured the 160 M inverted V with a K3S, and came up with a wider range of good SWR than expected. 

I've found it very difficult to get any 2 S-Meters to read the same.  But I didn't think to take my Flex up to check it out. 

Regardless, nothing to lose sleep over. 
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Howard I saw nothing insulting, a reasonable response.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Burt Glad you understood. You would have enjoyed the “Yellow Vest” rhere in Paris yesterday Lots of overturned and burning cars, graffiti on the Arche de Triomphe.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.