Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR fails to start using VPN connection - Sort of !

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a Flex 6500 radio back home at my residence.  I have a Raspberry Pi setup as the VPN server on my router at home.  From my Windows 10 laptop I can connect to the radio using SmartSDR 1.9.13  and using the Windows 10 built in VPN bridge.  

I can also connect with no problems using my Maestro and second Raspberry Pi 3 as well.

I have a friend who uses my radio who lives in a HOA and can not have antenna's at all. 
It's my friend that has the problem. He can connect to my VPN ok. Then you start SmartSDR and it starts ok.  But from the "Connect" screen it just does nothing and a window pops up and says "Unable to connect to Radio. Please power cycle radio and try again"  He is using Windows 10 as well.  It worked fine up till a few days ago when he installed an HP Inkjet printer.  

He is not sure if the printer installed caused it or just coincidental. 

He has uninstalled and reinstalled SmartSDR.  He has restarted his router. He has turned off his firewall. The radio is turned off by remote every night and restarted in the morning. 

We even did a system restore to an earlier date and then it started working ... but shortly afterwards it quit again.

I can not update to a newer version of firmware till I return home in April.  

Any help would be appreciated.   I'm stumped on this one.  

Bill
VA3QB

The attached picture is not "his" just an example I found in the forums. 

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If the printer was the only change, then removing the printer temporarily should solve the problem. What is the IP address of the radio and the printer? Mike va3mw
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'll check with Bruce and let you know ...   I log into his computer via Teamviewer  and he is out right now. 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

@Bill - I've had some troubles with consumer HP software (bloatware/spyware/adware really) messing systems up on installation.  The install process changed things, upset extisting configurations and upset AV systems.  I simply cringe when any of the retired relatives tell me they ran the CD or URL installer, usually adding a request for help as their system has stopped working the same way as before.

Often there is a functional "skinny" version available from HP that skips all the GUI & Bells+Whistles stuff, and I found these worked better.

Just a suggestion,

Steve K9ZW

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I uninstalled the HP printer and it still has the problem ...  But I have defined the problem a little better.   The first time he connects to my VPN, he can connect to the radio ok.   If he disconnects  from the VPN and reconnects the radio does not work. 

• Rohit Rans
    Rohit Rans Member
    edited November 2018
    The Great Post I found as the same Issue I was Facing with my HP Printer when tries to get uninstall It demands default username and Password. Then I found my Printer In Error State as previously it also prints too slow even only 2-3 pages in an hour.
  • shina mathew
    shina mathew Member
    edited November 2018
    Hello, smartsdr is the core of the Signature Series family, organizing all of the signal processing power in the FLEX-6000 Signature Series radios into an advanced reusable framework. If you face any issues then read Fallout 4 Won’t Launch On The PC Blog to get the best solution by the experts. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.