Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR iOS license Revisit Question

WA5GP
WA5GP Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
Ok I read through some of the post and questions about getting an Ipad to connect with your radio, and the most specific to my issue is the question from  Mark  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-ios-license

As I read it; it seems that I have bought an Ipad that I can not use!!!!! as the 6400 that I bought from a 7 was or is already tied to his Apple-ID and apparently not transferable or releasable.  Also as I understand it I will have to pay Flex $60.00 to be able to use the Ipad with a New Currant Radio that has a currant and up-to date license.  Some how this just doesn't seem right! 

That was more of an opening statement that a question.  The question is am I stuck with an Ipad that I cant use or is there a way around this type of depockle with the IOS App.

Answers

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    iPad software is controlled by Apple.  Any iPad software must go through Apple, get reviewed and approved.  This is a big advantage for iPad owners as Apple software is generally very clean and free from bad stuff.  In any case, this is not a situation that Flex can change.   Most iPads cost hundreds of dollars, so spending a few bucks for the Flex IOS app seems OK.  I just spent a month traveling in Europe and only used the iPad IOS app to access my Flex at home and it worked flawlessly every time.  The software is worth the money.   You mentioned that the 6400 you bought is tied to his Apple ID.  I would disagree.  Apple does not care what hardware you use.  I bought a used 6500 and bought the IOS app and all works fine.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The responses in this link:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-ios-license?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D...
    will explain the whole thing. You are not paying Flex for the iOS software. It entirely separate, and the money goes to Apple, with a cut going to the app developer in Germany.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    .... and SSDR 2.x is fixed to one Hardware device, SSDR-IOS is fixed to a USER (Apple account) = a user can use multiple Ipad or Iphone or ...

If you sell your Flex6 hardware you sell your SSDR lic. but not your SSDR-IOS

Chris
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Chris; I am assuming that once downloaded to a device it can't be released by an original receiver ( person ) as no longer in use or needed by that person.  Being totally new at Apple stuff and not actually a fan of Apple it is confusing to me any way :)   I just wanted to see how it works and play with having the radio display with me around here while wondering around the house while on the air in the mornings.  I do that any way with a wireless headset but wanted the info with me.  I just hate that one has to pay for what is advertised as a free app.  Which is actually true the app is free but to use it it cost a good bit ( $60.00 is considerable to some )
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    George,

just contact me using the "Contact Developer" button under Settings inside the App and we will surely find a solution.

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Marcus,

I went on and paid the 64 bucks and have it more or less working.  I can listen remotely but there is an echo in TX that I cant figure out while using the ipad remotely.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks George,

regarding the echo on TX, please see if you have turned headset monitoring off (slider far to the left) and try to increase the microphone threshold which can both be found on the settings screen.

Let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have tried the slider to left and not on ( monitor off ) still seems to have the echo. I am sure it is a setting that I haven't found yet.  I have not tried increasing the threshold as of yet.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.