Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 Frequency shifting plus a problem with DIGU

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I normally use digital modes and I have run into a problem that is making them impossible.
After the 6700 has been running a while even if not transmitting the received audio frequency shifts by a few 100hz.
This is very noticeable on WSJT where the signals on the WSJT display show a sawtooth pattern of about 200 to 400hz. of course WSJT wont receive signals like that.
I have just been using Olivia and the same problem occurred.

Also I used DIGU for tranmitting olivia, but when I went to receive, the 6700  did not receive any signals, the only way to get back into receive mode was to change from DIGU to USB, (the receiver came to life) then back to DIGU to continue receiving.

So 2 problems, could it be a heat problem with the 6700, causing the frequency shift?, the room is cool about 55 to 60F and when transmitting I am not using more that 55watts output. and if not what is causing the problem??
And what is causing the 6700 to not receive after a transmission.??

I am using the latest SmartSDR

Comments please.

Thanks
Ross
ZL1WN

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ross,
       I have not heard of anyone reporting a problem like this with Flex 6xxx...  When the shift occurs does the SSDR dial also indicate a freqeuncy shift or just a shift in the WSJT waterfall.  If you shut down SSDR CAT does the shift still occur  ( shift coming thru CAT control ) ?  Do you have a Flex Knob ( try running without the knob) ?   

AL, K0VM
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Curious if the swing is persistent after software/hardware restarts, or mode changes when return to DIGU?

Sounds like a Zendesk Helpticket would be the route to dig deep into this one.

Steve K9ZW

• Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Very odd indeed, mine seems very stable frequency wise. DigiU works fine for me for rx ant tx so possibly a HelpDesk ticket is needed.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is your power supply output stable? Have you tried another one?
    73, Alex - Dh2ID
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the comments, yes the frequency shift is obvious on the SSSDR waterfall. I have just swapped the power supply from the 6500 to the 6700. I will see if the problem still occurs when testing today. One point I forgot to mention, after having the freq shift, I tried leaving the rig switched off for a few hours the problem did not reoccur after restarting, however it did start again after a further couple of hours. Ross
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Curious as to the amount of shift you are seeing..    The only thing I could think of would be a defective internal frequency reference,  a defective GPS DO if you have that, or if your using an external frequency reference it could be a marginal level..

Probably time  for the helpdesk to get involved.  

AL, K0VM
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the comment, I am not using a GPS either internal or external.
    The frequency shift is about 100 to 150 hz and a period of 2 to 5 seconds, (both dimensions approx as it is they are the nearest I can estimate).
    I have sent a note to the helpdesk.
    By the way it does appear to be a heat or similar problem, as the shift started again after 2 hours this morning, I turned the rig off for an hour and the shift did not reappear. I will wait another hour to see what happens.
    Ross
  • Bob Sarnecki
    Bob Sarnecki Member
    edited October 2018
    Hi, Ross.  Was curious to know if/how this was resolved; I am having the exact same problem.  Does not appear to be heat related; 6700 seems to be running cool, but it does appear after a few hours of use.  When it occurs, WSJT-X will not decode on FT-8.  Any insights would be appreciated! 

Thanks & 73,

Bob
    NF7D
  • K5SRT_Ross
    K5SRT_Ross Member ✭✭
    What ended up being the problem seeing it on 6700 (v3.1.12) and 6600 (v3.1.12)?
  • Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Submit a ticket asap. Sounds like same I have had with my 6700. Was a known problem. Mine now on it's way from service by Norbert in Germany. Can't say enough good things about Norbert and his service! Outstanding! Not to expensive repair either. Looking forward, very very much, to have my 6700 back again :) Ps. service in Germany while I'm located in Sweden, Europe.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.