Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Software other than PSDR for F5K

Is PSDR the only Windows-based package to control the F5K? I like PSDR very much but am troubleshooting an elusive computer issue that only shows up when PSDR is running. I'd like to try another piece of software to see if it's a PSDR bug (which I doubt) or something in my hardware.

The facts:
Compaq Precision M4600 with 16GB RAM
Windows 7, SP1
SIIG Firewire Expressport adapter with Granite Firewire cable.
Flex-5000A with no ATU, 2nd receiver or tuner
PSDR - current version

The issue:
PSDR will suddenly stop receiving signals. The START light stays on.
Clicking the START/STOP button brings the receiver right back on.
No other software is running.

After a lot of troubleshooting and elimination I found the problem is related to computer network activity. The trouble shows up frequently (maybe 5 minutes, maybe 15) if I have the wireless turned on and connected to my in-house network. If I disable the wireless and connect a CAT6 cable from the laptop to the router the problem is much less frequent, but still there. Sometimes will run for hours with no problem, but other times as little as 10 minutes or so. Here's teh real hint: if I disconnect the CAT6 cable the receiver runs just fine - forever!

So, it looks to me that it's an interaction between PSDR and my network connection. I've updated drivers, checked for IRQ conflicts and everything else I can think of. Now I'm down to eliminating some obscure interaction or something between PSDR and my LAN. That's why I'm asking if there is an alternative to PSDR I can try fro troubleshooting.

Sorry for the long post... I was just working this through in my mind!

Jack
WA2OLZ

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Best not to connect by network. connect directly to computer
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    I was unclear, Bill. The Flex is direct to the computer through Firewire, the network connection for access to the Internet and printer.
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    The issue you are seeing is caused by Windows interaction with the drivers for your networking chipsets/hardware and Windows. It defers the SIG card/firewire to resolve delayed process calls caused by the networking hardware. As far as Windows is concerned your computers communication with your Flex is a audio stream and it thinks it's OK to interrupt that stream.  When that happens you get the result you are getting. 
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Jack,
       The hangs are likely due to 'Delayed procedure calls' which are likely the result of overloaded CPU attempting to service devices with out of date drivers.  Open the Flex Firewire control panel and click on the DPC tab.  Click the clear button to start a new reading.image

DPC's in the range of 4000 usec or more can cause the firewire to lose contact with the hardware.

AL, K0VM
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks very much for the knowledgeable and fast replies.

I will make this short as I have a poor wireless connection to the Internet - our ISP lost Internet connectivity yesterday afternoon.

I will check the control panel later this morning. I was unaware it was there.

The computer is a Dell Precision M4600 workstation bought specifically for SDR. It runs quad I7s and has 16GB RAM. The problem occurs even when running only PSDR. I may need to see what services I can delete if I can't make adjustments in the control panel that help.

QRX - I'll be back as fast as possible!

Tnx & 73
    Jack
    WA2OLZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Jack - If you are still having issues, I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can investigate further.
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks very much, Tim. I appreciate your jumping in and offer to assist.

I'll gather some hard data over the next couple of days and open a ticket. It's most uncool to open a ticket that just says "It doesn't work" (-;

Jack
    WA2OLZ
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    For all out there: Tim was, as usual, right!

I submitted a ticket and am getting great support. Will let y'all know what it comes down to.

Jack
    WA2OLZ
  • Enrique Iglesias
    edited April 2019
    some people who bought Photoshop in the past did so because it was the best image editing app, even if it had high-end features they knew they would never need and for the help regarding the printer you can also searched hp printer offline windows 10   and you will get the best solution.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Scam,,not Flex related.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    So hackers live for this stuff. They compete on who can hack into various websites and brag about it to each other, and unfortunately any website that has an online entry is vulnerable to a hack. The user "Enrique Iglesias" joined just today and I'm sure FRS has already disabled this account and reported these hacks to Get Satisfaction, the company powering this community. It's their software and their responsibility to find the vulnerability and fix it, until next time.
    Saying that, it may not be a hack but someone posing as a ham that was approved to join and post. If that is the case then the administrator of these community forums should tighten up the verification process. I've administered a forum with thousands
    of users and hundreds of thousands of posts and let me tell you it was a constant daily battle flushing out hourly fake account signups and fake posting.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.