Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thoughts on Remote Stations and Emcomm/Freecom

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in New Ideas
Can we depend on a remote station for emergency use? https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2018/09/06/thoughts-on-remote-station-dependencies-in-emergency-use/ Your thoughts? 73 Steve K9ZW

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Steves interesting article above has got me thinking again about trying to re-establish a Softether VPN between here (control) and the remote site where the radios and antennas etc are located.  Lightning took out the remote PC and I lost all the Softether settings and the screen shots of how it was configured.  I have resolved the PC vulnerability to the USB connection that destroyed everything by using a wireless link.

Would someone be willing to help me , via Teamviewer, to rebuilt the Softether VPN so I can use Maestro here and connect to the Flex 6600 at the Remote via Softether again?

Thanks

• Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

As noted in Steve's post, the Internet is the weakest link in the overall system.  When I lived in Santa Clara County, California, the fiber optic cable that served the southern portion of the County was cut by alleged disgruntled employees.  All data connectivity was lost: WWW, cell phones, ATMs, banking, credit card processing, email, etc.  The outage lasted about 18 hours.

For remote locations, another consideration is that the area is often served by a single Internet provider.  For example, Eureka in Northern California lost all of its Internet connectivity for days due to wild land fires 100 miles to the south were the provider connected to the Internet.  "The Big One" will cause similar connectivity problems as cables are severed by the ground movement.

So the air gapped bridge is an important consideration for remote stations and I am looking forward to reading Steve's discussion of possibilities.

Logan, KZ6O
    DEC Santa Clara County, retired

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.