Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB Headset Solution

Rick - W5FCX
Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in New Ideas
Since I got my Flex radios in 2016, I have struggled with how to get the best audio quality through my Windows PC. Because I operate remotely from the Flex rig 99% of the time, plugging directly into the radio isn't applicable. Besides, I enjoy operating from my Windows PC and remote, which is what led me to Flex in the first place.  And since I also use Skype and conferencing software when working from home, I also wanted to eliminate background noise like dogs playing, barking, etc.

These audio issues became more acute recently when I added a 2-meter transverter to my Flex 6300 and started using FM on a daily basis. Audio quality issues aren't quite as apparent with SSB as they are with FM, and in my case, it was a lack of audio amplitude from my Logitech USB headset through Windows 7, and too much echo from my alternative studio-quality USB desk mic (my new office has high vaulted ceilings, causing the echo chamber).

After much research and experimenting, I finally found a solution that works for me I'm sharing for others to benefit from as needed. The solution was to get a higher-quality headset with basic noise cancelling, and one with an adjustable mic that can bend around closer to the actual audio source (the mouth), coupled with some audio processing software for Windows. This combination addresses all three problems - audio amplitude, background noise and echos, so now my voice has the right level of punch for FM, AM and SSB modes. 

I have a local ham who has been helping me adjust the audio levels. For me, +10 dB above Windows full audio input levels is about right to get full FM deviation without overmodulating. Interestingly, I no longer require the SmartSDR PROC setting to be on to get full amplitude punch.  My guess is this will also improve my SSB P-P signal, as well.  I will experiment next time there's a DX pileup with and without the PROC compression.

Here's the solution that works for me:

USB Headset:  Mpow 071 USB Headset/3.5mm Computer Headset with Microphone Noise Cancelling, Lightweight PC Headset Wired Headphones, Business Headset for Skype, Webinar, Phone, Call Center

Fix for Low Windows Audio:   YouTube how-to video   Equalizer APO   Peace Equalizer GUI

I'm sure there are other Windows software drivers and equalizer programs out there, but this solves the problem nicely. I'm not yet using the equalizer to further improve the audio quality, so there may yet be room for improvement.

Lastly, in order to test my audio without the Flex radio on a standalone basis, I downloaded the nice audio editing software "Audacity", which let's me record and play back high quality audio and see the waveforms visually on the PC with no further test equipment.

So as usual, I'm finding the flexibility of being "software-defined" has its benefits!

Comments

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Is the 3.5mm plug that goes into the control box TRRS? If so, it could be used the the iPad for use with SSDR for iOS.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Indeed it does!  Thanks for pointing that out. I just used it for a quick QSO on 2 meters via the iPhone SDR app.  It's nice having a single device that works for both the USB on PC and iPhone and iPad as well.

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for posting this. Is one of them buttons a PTT by chance?
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It is not PTT.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the interesting post.  I may check out/buy those headphones.  I installed EQ APO on my laptop but I've been unsuccessful installing the GUI as Norton says it contains a virus.  Checked on the Peace/SoundForge site and others reported it being rejected/removed by their antivirus program, too.  Unfortunately, downloading the EQ APO "gifted" me with an unwanted copy of AVAST that I didn't want and was a bear to remove.

Good news is that the latest version of Windows 10 enables me to boost my mic audio another 28% which brings my Plantronics USB headset within range of being adequate.

Thanks and 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.