Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WNB

W8QB
W8QB Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
According to the "SmartSDR for Windows" change log, beginning with the version 2.2.7 alpha software, the Wideband Noise Blanker (WNB) "now works properly" for the Flex-6400M.  Did this (enhanced?) WNB functionality make it into the the latest official release, v2.2.8 software?  I am running v2.2.8 from the front panel of a 6400M but still see no impact whatsoever with pulse-type noise.  Have others in this forum seen any improvement when running WNB?

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It has worked for me and others. But some noise is complex in nature, and is hard to eliminate.. The WNB has received a lot of praise over the years...  Robert

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/wnb-wow
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've noticed that in some conditions the WNB reduces band noise enough to make copy noticeably better.  

It seemed to work before the 2.2.8 update too, so since this is my first Flex I too am curious what exactly the bugfix in 2.2.8 entailed.  

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The WNB was not made for pulse type noise, it is for wide band electrical noise, On 40 meters some nights I have electrical noise, about S7. The WNB knocks it out 100%. Without it I would have to turn off and try another night.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I don't think anything has changed, the fix was likely to do with how it corresponds with the radio controls.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    According to page 42 of the 6000 series User Guide, "The Wideband Noise Blanker (WNB) is used to combat fast rise time PULSE-TYPE noise."
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've heard that said of the version 1 software, but have not heard much favorable information regarding how WNB has been implemented with version 2.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ok, well what ever it says, I just know it is amazing for the noise I have.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim will probably chime in here and comment on this.. I have several radios with NR and NB features.. Some were rated very high in pulse noise elimination,,, Worst radio, Yaesu FT-991, then comes my Yaesu FT-1000mp, followed by my Icom IC-9100, then my Icom R8600, ranking a 2 up to a 8,, then the Flex 6600M at a 10!!  As Bill stated above, it can make what is a near impossible QSO turn into a pleasant  experience.
    Robert
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'm glad you've had better results.  The noise blanker works fine on my (IC-7300) back up radio, although as noted, I have not had any success with WNB on a 6400M running v2.2.8.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OH, keep in mind that the Flex radios have a real time TRUE Spectrum Analyzer,, This gives you the ability to dig deep into the spectrum and actually show what the noise is, wide band, or some pulse type.. I have not had my radio long enough to compare it to my HP spectrum Analyzer,, but I bet it will hold its own in many field type tests. The Flex radio is more then a ham transceiver, it has attributes that could be considered Test Equipment..

For Example,, I have a Icom IC-R8600 DC-3GHz Receiver-Scanner.. So what I have done is plug ny Cable TV line into the radio.. Very Interesting Spectrum display of QAM carriers, OFDM/200MHz spectrum for Docsis 3.1, and More.. So I baselined all my RF carriers after the local cable company swept and balanced the lines from the Fiber Optic Node up to my home.. I can now go back check if something changes.. Before I did this with the HP analyzer, but it is Big and heavy for some basic and simple testing..

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    W8QB - the WNB fix you are referring to is we identified a defect where the WNB was not working properly for the 6400s.  It has been fixed.  If you do not have well correlated wideband noise, the WNB will not be effective on the noise you are trying to mitigate.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    From page 40 of the user guide,
    1. Impulse noise is a category of noise that includes almost instantaneous impulse-like sharp sounds generated by voltage spikes from arcing power lines...

Traditionally, “noise blankers” have been utilized to mitigate this type of impulse noise.

--end excerpt--

Therefore, the 6400M's "noise blanker" (inclusive of WNB function) should be an effective tool for combatting noise associated with power lines, correct?

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    My experience has been:
    WNB takes out some broadbanded noise or hash that may exist more so in the lower bands than upper. the NB or noise blanker takes out the more Pulse like noises you seem to be referring to. The problem with that one is that the strong signals will be distorted for a few seconds before straightening out. A setting in my case of no more than a 4, seems to work real well for some of the Pulse type noises. The NR will reduce most all noise, including  the signals you want to hear but
    reduces background noise enough to help with most weak signals.

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Correct, WNB is Great for combating power line type noise, brush motor noise
    73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.