Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I would like to use a Heil icM mic with my 6600M. Connections & setup help?

Bob  KW4CQ
Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have on hand a Heil icM microphone that came with a prewired cable and what appears to be an 8-pin Foster connector on the end plus a 1/4" jack for PTT.   I would like to use this mic with my 6600M.  Is anyone using one who could tell me what type of adapter I should use (from Heil?), should I use the rear connections that I had been using with the FHM-2 hand mic? and which of the mic selections should I use on the pull down tab mic menu in the 6600M, and should I turn on the Radio:Bias feature?
Thanks a million for any help with this.
73, Bob KW4CQ

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Bob if you search here you find several conversations about this, with Heil mics
  • Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks, Bill but I couldn't find anything specifically addressing adapting the 8 pin Foster plug on my Heil Electret icM mic cable to match the mic input on the back of the 6600M.  I don't want to cut off the Foster plug and an adapter would be the preferred way to go if possible.  I'll check with Heil and see what they may have on this.  Thanks again.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    See if this is what you need
    And yes I think you need the Bias on for that mic.
    8 Pin foster to 1/8in 35mm TRS and RCA for FLEX-6400M or FLEX-6600M
    this is for the 6600 and 6400  on the Flex store
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    This cable is wired for a Yaesu radio.  If the connector cable you have for the icM is for an Icom, this isn't going to work.  And yes, the bias is needed for all condenser mics.

• WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    As it is when received from Flex Tim is correct.  I re-wired the male end of this adapter over to Icom configuration ( change 3 of the wires ) and all was well and no fuss.  An option that Flex should really take into consideration for people coming from Icom radios and have good mics and cables. Also to use 4 conductor grounded wire instead of two separate dangling wires or at least molded twin wire, OH and a 90 mic plug would be nice like the mic that comes with. I used "snake skin" left  over from an old project to keep the wires together and somewhat nicer looking and out of the rats nest.
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Bob this is my work sheet once I was able to get the Flex Tech to tell me the wiring was Yeasu and sort of pointed me to a model for reference.  I hope it is readable and you will notice that there is 2 White and Red, they use the same wire  color for ptt as in mic. Maybe you can save it then rotate it.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    For other Heil products that utilize various adapter cables such as the balanced dynamics and headsets, you simply get the Yaesu adapter cable and that is pin compatible with all our radios that have the 8-pin Foster connector.

As per the information on the iCM product page, it says the mic is designed for Icom transceivers only and is hard-wired for Icom radios; it doesn't utilize different adapter cables that provides the flexibility to be used with different radios.
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Best bet is to call Bob Heil's place and ask.  I did and the above is what was the result.  I use a remote wireless 900Mhz headset and a PR781 regularly and to switch is a simple gain or TX change 
  • Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the wiring data, George.  That will come in handy.  By the way what brand/model 900MHz wireless headset are you using?  I thought I might give that a try here in the near future.
    73, Bob
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Bob the wireless head set that I use is a Plantronics CS-50.  Not so tricky to figure out the wiring but a real pain in the **** to solder to.  The CS-50 is a telephone headset and the wire is that thread impregnated with tiny copper wire.  It is do-able but tricky.  I took the base apart and reversed-ed (doped out) the PC-Board and added a small 4 pin Molex with wire you can work with.  It is a great way to operate; grab the headset and wonder around the house and yard doing things or this time of the year sit on the back porch with your coffee and relax while in a rag chew secession.
  • Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I thought I had this problem licked but after opening up the female Foster plug on the end of the ICM mic cable I discovered the following pin-outs:

Pin 1 (white wire shielded)
    Pin 2 n/c
    Pin 3 n/c
    Pin 4 n/c
    Pin 5 (a red wire and a smaller pink? wire)
    Pin 7 (two black wires shielded)
    Pin 8 n/c

The separate 1/4 inch plug  on the end of the cable is for the PTT of course.

Can anyone suggest how to use these wires with the appropriate plug(s) to connect me to the 6600M?  I have Googled the internet and nothing comes up on this subject and Heil has nothing offer in response to my query.

Many thanks,
    Bob KW4CQ

• Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I thought I had this problem licked but after opening up the female Foster plug on the end of the ICM mic cable I discovered the following pin-outs:

Pin 1 (white wire shielded)
    Pin 2 n/c
    Pin 3 n/c
    Pin 4 n/c
    Pin 5 (a red wire and a smaller pink? wire)
    Pin 7 (two black wires shielded)
    Pin 8 n/c

The separate 1/4 inch plug  on the end of the cable is for the PTT of course.

Can anyone suggest how to use these wires with the appropriate plug(s) to connect me to the 6600M?  I have Googled the internet and nothing comes up on this subject and Heil has nothing offer in response to my query.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.