Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice master and packet radio

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Third-Party Software
I have two packet programs.  I'll likely just use one of them since its well documented and is currently being supported.  I'd like to know if or how I can use this with slice master?  I'd like to have it listening for me on a slice other than A of course.  Is their already a way to do that or will you need to know about the program?  
Thanks
Peter
W2PP

Answers

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Peter,

The CAT listeners in Slice Master can be helpful with programs it knows nothing about.  But for a program to be integrated like flDigi or WSJT-X it takes a bit of work on my part.  Even then, not all programs are good candidates for integration.  The short version is that I'm not interested in integrating programs that cannot be started, stopped, and configured externally or programs that can only run a single instance. The program also has to use a form of CAT control that Slice Master provides.

If you mention the names of the packet software you're using, I'll take a look at them to see if either meets the requirements for integration that I mentioned above.

--Don

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hey I understand completely.  Here is a link to the guys web page.  Has everything about it including the program.  Soundmodem.exe is the actual engine that's the one you would need to launch.  It wants to hook up to a DAX channel for audio, PTT is cake serial no issue there.  Well let me know what you think.  His link is below. 
    Peter
    http://uz7.ho.ua/packetradio.htm

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Also I just looked, I don't see a "CAT listeners in Slice Master"  what is that and how do I access it?
    Peter

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Slice Master currently provides two types of CAT control for use by thirds party programs.  If you really squint your eyes and turn your head to the side just enough you can think of Slice Master as a fancy version of SSDR CAT.  One of the bigger differences is that Slice Master doesnt create any serial ports for the third party programs to connect to.  Instead, it provides this functionality over a TCP connection.  SSDR CAT does this too.  Both support the Flex CAT command and much of the Kenwood command set as well.  But, Slice Master also supports the HRD Rig Control protocol.  

So what this means is, if your program can use CAT over TCP or the HRD protocol it can talk directly to Slice Master which then talks to the radio.  But with Slice Master in the middle, there are more options.  Like a setting to make sure that DAX is enabled anytime the transmitter is engaged... a great feature for any third party program using using the DAX TX audio channel.

Using either of these protocols, Slice Master will also let you connect to the TX slice, rather than just one specific slice.  So you can tell a program like HRD Logbook to connect to Slice Master rather than HRD Rig Contol, and whenever you make a QSO, the "add entry" window will know the right frequency and mode, regardless of which slice you actually used.

These "listeners" (technically, TCP servers) are configured in Slice Master's Sync tab.  There you can enable and set the listen port for either protocol to control a specific slice.  If you want to enable and set the listen ports for the TX slice, you'll have to look under the settings tab (labeled "...").

--Don
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Don:
        OK, the program who's link is above looks for a serial port.  I'm simply not that familiar with this stuff so please help me out here.  How do I make a serial to TCP connection possible and then CAT I guess?  A step by step guide would be VERY appreciated.  So in the end I have a serial port to aim the packet stuff at.
    Thanks
    Peter

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Peter,

After reading the manual for the packet software, I'm a bit confused.  It doesnt look like it needs CAT control at all.  It seems to be expecting to use VOX to key the transmitter.  It does have provisions for using a COM port configured for PTT.  SSDR CAT can create a such a COM port for you, but that probably isnt necessary.  

Do you have the software connected to and working with the Flex already... or is your question more about making that happen in the first place, rather than taking advantage of a Slice Master feature that your current configuration lacks?

--Don
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have it working already.  What I want to do is have it listening all the time to its own slice.  NOT slice A since that is a nuisance.  Just like SSTV and RTTY with HRD, I'd like it to have its own slice so when I do see something I can just go over their and turn on xmit and off I go...just like the other modes.  I have it using PTT now not vox.

Is it possible therefore, to give it its own slice other than A which appears to be the default for these programs...unless of course you use Slice master.
    Peter
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Getting it to use a slice other than A should be pretty straight forward.  Just pick a slice and assign a DAX channel to it.  Then tell the packet software to use that DAX channel instead of the one assigned to slice A.  You can also use SSDR CAT to set up a COM port of type PTT to control the TX for the alternate slice.  If you set that to auto switch TX, then anytime the packet software is about it transmit, the TX slice will change to the alternate slice.  

Just let me know if this isnt enough to get you going.  I can try to put more of a step-by-step together for you if needed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.