Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmit Waveform

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
I noticed a different waveform when th PA temperature is below 67deg Celsius and when it's above that temperature. Have I got a problem or is this normal?image
Temp below 67deg Celsius

Temp above 67deg Celsius

Answers

• John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bob, I have seen the same results here.  My 6500 just came back from Flex as it was losing power.  Even at 10 watts in tune position into a dummy load, it was up and down from as little as 3 watts to 11 or so watts, set as 10 watts on the Maestro, even before it reached 67 deg Celsius.  Just FYI.  I was not running the Flex in excess of 40 watts, but still got the same waveform you show here.  I had to reboot the Flex to clear it up.  I thought it was related to the power dropping off issue.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is this on all bands or just 20?

• John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Bob, It has been about 4 weeks ago when I sent the 6500 in, so I am not positive, but I believe that it occurred on both 40 & 20.  Often after the Flex had been left on all night, and my first FT8 contact attempt in the AM would produce this waveform.  After rebooting, it was good for several hours.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    try shutting down DAX and restarting just the DAX module, I leave my 6700 on ALL the time as a server and only see this after a few days / hours and restart DAX to clear the issue.

not sure this is the same on your radio or not but it is on mine.

your mileage WILL vary

Bret 
    WX7Y

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks John, but I'm hoping that FRS chimes in.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Bret, my radio is on 24/7 also. Never related that to DAX but will try that.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I've seen it on 40 and 80 meters when the PA gets hot.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks to everyone who offered some feedback.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    That waveform characteristic is definitely indicative of the DAX buffer corruption issue and shutting down the DAX applet and restarting it should correct the issue.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I shutdown DAX and restarted it, same issue. If I run the PA with some pauses in between my transmissions, I never see that. As long the PA temp stays below 67deg C it's good.
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tim, what is the long term fix for this issue? My 6500 just came back from your hospital a week ago and I had this issue again this AM! Thanks for your help.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    The workaround until we can address the DAX issue is to restart it periodically.  There will be an upcoming feature in SmartSDR v2.2 that will start DAX when you start SmartSDR rather than have it start when the PC boots and remain running until you either (a) shut it down manually or (b) reboot the PC.  This should help some since the corruption issue is resolved by restarting DAX, so with this feature, it might not run as long and the frequency of the corruption is decreased.  This is not the fix, but it should help for some.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.