Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 Lost Connections

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
New Flex 6600 running SSDR v2.1.34 (Windows 10) has experienced a few lost connections for unknown reasons?   The radio reboots on it's own.  Network Diagnostics shows excellent without any dropped packets.  The power button sequence at loss flashes red twice.  Any ideas what the two red flashes indicate? 

Cal/N3CAL 

Comments

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Page 18 of the new 6600 hardware manual actually shows what the various error codes are that flash.  Two red flashes show Software Crash.  I wonder if that is a internal software crash or is it external SSDR software? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Wendell - N4VLK
    Wendell - N4VLK Member
    edited February 2018
    It happened to me several times also.  I submitted a ticket.  It is a SmartSdr issue, which Flex is aware of.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wow ....curious ...I have has same experience yesterday......6600 reboot.....and event has not repeat

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

per section 5.4 of manual

Power Button Color Codes

The Power button is used to turn the radio on and off and is illuminated with a number of colors to indicate the radio’s operational state:

• FLASHING GREEN: Radio is starting or shutting down

• SOLID GREEN: Radio is in receive mode

• FLASHING RED: See Error Conditions below

• SOLID BRIGHT RED: Transmitting on PA

• SOLID DIM RED: Transmit engaged, but transmit interlocks are not ready. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for description of the transmit interlocks.

• SOLID ORANGE: Transmitting on XVTR port with low power

• SOLID PURPLE: Radio is performing a software update

• FLASHING WHITE: Radio is performing a reset to factory defaults

• OFF: Radio is off

Error Conditions

Certain hardware and software error conditions cause the radio to stop operating and display an error code by flashing the Power button light as follows:

• One red flash: Fan malfunction

• Two red flashes: Software crash

• Three red flashes: Boot failure

• Four red flashes: Input power over voltage

• Five red flashes: CPU overcurrent

• Six red flashes: Input power under voltage

In the case of a software crash, the error code repeats for about 15 seconds, then the radio will reboot. In the other cases, the error code repeats until the Power button is pressed, then the radio shuts down. An additional press of the Power button is needed to restart the radio.

Avoid removing power from the radio when it is performing a software update (power button is solid purple). Doing so may result in the radio becoming unresponsive.

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As you have found, 2 red flashes mean that some element of the radio's internal software has crashed.  Assuming we're not talking about a 6600M, a client software crash (SmartSDR for Windows or Maestro) means nothing to the radio.  It will simply keep running and wait for a client to connect.

A software crash in the radio is recovered automatically after about 15 seconds.

The alpha testers (I am one) are seeing these crashes and the problem is being pursued.  Many of the alpha testers run the radios around the clock just to try to catch problems like this.  Since the radio does not indicate the source of the crash externally, and since it reboots automatically, we may be looking for more than one failure.  It will get tracked down and fixed.

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dave,  thanks for the info.  I as well always run my radio around the clock.   I've been running a used 6300 the last 8 months 24/7 while waiting for the 6600 delivery and never had the issue.  I'm sure you guys will get it resolved.  Thanks again.  73

Cal/N3CAL
  • Bob W8RMV
    Bob W8RMV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I had it happen to my 6400M this morning.  I missed much of the rig screen statements as I was looking at my mail on my computer at the time it took a dump.  I did catch one comment about the LAN.  The rig recovered & rebooted on its own & brought itself back to where it was, as if nothing happened.  Are these faults captured somewhere in the rig?  73 Bob W8RMV
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for passing along that info Wendell...

N3CAL
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    This behavior has been previously reported and is in our bug tracker as defect #5942.  It is currently under investigation.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Week three with the 6600 and just had my third software crash.  Lost connection, 2 red flashes on power button and then radio rebooted on its own.  This time after radio rebooted I reconnected and noticed the radio had lost all persistence.  There was no active slice, Antenna Genius was showing no slice info as well as WSJT-X.  Just wanted to report this behavior to Flex in hopes of helping them solve this bug...  At time of crash I was on 30m, DIGU,  only one slice open, DAX and CAT running along with WSJT-X.

Cal/N3CAL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.