Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FHM-1 won't PTT Maestro but VOX works

Keith Schlottman
Keith Schlottman Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Maestro
My Maestro has been working well remoting from my office to home with CW, so I decided to set it up for SSB.  Rather than use a fancy mic, I thought I'd just use the FHM-1 that came with my 6500.  Bought the ACC-CLV-310 cable for the RJ45 connection, which I received today.  But it will not trigger TX when I push the PTT button on the mic.  I've triple-checked that connectors on both sides of the cable are tightly seated.  I can go into the TX Menu on the Maestro and enable VOX, and my voice will trigger TX, so it appears that the mic is working ok.  But I'd prefer to use the PTT switch.  I have never used this mic, it is as new since I have a Heil studio mic at the home station.  I have poured over the manuals and searched the forums but cannot find an answer - Is there some setting that I need to enable to get the PTT switch to work?
Thanks in advance de KR7RK

Comments

• stevenab
    stevenab Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Check the mic profile in the TX menu.
  • Keith Schlottman
    edited February 2018
    Yes, I've done that.  What I am asking is whether there is some specific setting that I am somehow missing.  It does not seem to matter which profile I choose including "*Default FHM-1 in the mic profile.

• stevenab
    stevenab Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The profile was my problem.  Nothing else comes to mind!
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I tried to save a buck by buying 2 mic cable on eBay; to later find out they were both miswired. 
    Made my own and I got rid of the problem.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    I recommend using an ohm meter to verify that the PTT switch is working by checking the resistance at the connector pins as the first step in troubleshooting.  It should read 0 ohms when closed.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Push the Mic/Speed Power button on the right side of the maestro and make sure the correct Mic Input is selected.    ( M-Mic1 if using the Maestro handheld)
  • Keith Schlottman
    edited May 2018
    I am fairly certain there is a problem with the cable.  The mic works fine when using the cable that came with it (RJ45 to the mic, 8-pin to the 6500) plugged into the 6500, which implies that the PTT switch on the FHM-1 is working fine.  And I am able to use a Yaesu MD-100 mic on the Maestro without problems using the cable that came with that mic (8-pin to the MD-100, RJ45 to the Maestro), which implies that the Maestro female jack is receiving the signal from the PTT line just fine.  Thus, I can only assume that the failure is occurring somewhere in the brand new RJ45 mic cable that I purchased for the FHM-1 mic - to - Maestro combination.  As I said earlier, VOX works so the audio is making it from the mic into the Maestro.  It's only the PTT that does not want to work.

I'll submit a Help Desk ticket.  Thanks to all for the ideas.

Keith KR7RK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.