Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD DM780 and multiple instances

K1DBO
K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Third-Party Software
I've been trying to run multiple instances of DM780 each against a different slice.  I have the connectivity down but I dont understand how 'identities" are supposed to work in DM780.  It looks like an identity is supposed to save a (mostly?) complete configuration and allow returning to it later. There's an option to allow the user to select an "identity" when the program starts.   Sometimes it seems to load the saved configuration other times not.  I'd love to find a way to create a desktop shortcut to start with given identity.  So far no luck there either.

Kindly share what you know about using multiple instance of this program.

Thanks!
--Don

Answers

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Don

I am  trying to do the same thing. Just getting started. I am doing it with WSJT-X and JTAlert and it took quite a bit to get it working. I am able to run 4 instances of FT8. WSJT does not like you computer to hit 100% CPU even for a short time and will not decode anything in the 15 second segment. Makes a QSO very difficult. Minimizing windows and closing applications especially Chrome relieves the CPU a lot.If computer overloads too long it will automatically disconnect.UGH

One key I found was to create a shortcut and start the app in the command window.

Target: C:WindowsSystem32cmd.exe /k wsjtx --rig-name=flex66004
    Start in:  C:WINDOWSSystem32

To get the new icon --- move cursor to plank spot on Desktop and Right click on menu click on New > shortcut        then CR
     A  box will start asking the type the location of the item,  click Browse >    and you should be able to click on Desktop    C:UsersahilDesktop
    Hit NEXT  >  put in the name you want to name the short cut. Hit finished  CR

Right click on the new icon  > Properties  on General tab type in the Name you want on the icon. e.g. WSJT-X 66004 D. then click on the shortcut tab and inter the target and the Start in fields i showed above. Then hit the APPLY button in the lower right corner.

The icon will change to a dos looking symbol. What the Target will execute is a DOS command cmd.exe /k and then start the program wsjtx and define the variable rig-name the value of flex66004 when it starts. note the the context of the command is exact. if you are starting another program you need to know that variable name. Also you need the double dash -- and no spaces after --.

It leaves an open DOS window that you may close with the x in upper right corner of the window. If you are or know a DOS person they could have a parameter to close it.

I did the same thing for JTAlertX with the name of JTAlertX FLEX66004. I can run 4 instances of WSJT-X and 4 instances of JTAlertX. with JTAlert Ithe program assigned a new instance after the previously one is running. indicating #1, #2, #3 and #4 but the Target: and Start in: are exactly the same. The only thing that changes is the name on the running application so you can keep track of which window goes with which WSJT-X application Window. It can easily get confusing. 

If I figure out how to run DM780 on multiple slices we can share the information. With the capability of the Flex 6600 a lot of people are going to be interested in multiple instances of decode software.

W9JJB
    Bill

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bill, 

Thanks for your well thought out reply.  It looks like we are doing things in reverse order.  WSJT-X/JTAlertX were next on my list.  Maybe I should switch focus and get them going first!

And, I agree, what's the point of having eight slices if 3rd party apps only support one of them!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.