Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New upcoming user of 6700 trying to prepare

N4VGE
N4VGE Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
What can I do to prepare my shack and me for the 6700?  I have downloaded and read the Software Users Guide and Hardware manual.  I have read years of conversations here on the forum. 
I have an HP Envy Win 10 laptop I plan on using for the interface.  Will this work and will I be able to use the touch screen?   Is there a way to download the actual operating software before the 6700 arrives so I can at least see the controls? 

Best Answer

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018 Answer ✓
    I agree about the research. Those geared to ham use are pretty decent. I use a Jetstream JTPS28. I tested the rig on battery and on the JTPS28 and found no difference in noise level or birdies. We have birdies coming from the house but that is unrelated to the ham power supply. The only thing I hate about it is that it has a constant fan. But I do lots of 160m DXing so low noise level is vital.

Bought one from R&L and another from my (now SK) friend George K2ZZ when he had radio oasis as a ham radio store.

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Welcome to the Flex community. Sounds like you have a good start.

Yes, I have a small laptop with a touch screen and it works just fine. You don't need a huge amount of computing power in the client. Most of the digital "heavy lifting" is done in the radio.

You can download and install SmartSDR but, unfortunately, it won't actually show you anything because it won't "see" a radio yet on your network.

Sorry, the waiting is the hardest part!

Bob
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Van,

Do you happen to have a friend who would share his login credentials with you so you can experience the Flex while waiting for your radio? You're going to love the Flex.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Make sure you have a capable power supply and powered speakers (3.5mm stereo plug), download the manuals, ensure your Router is working well, and watch youtube videos.  Here's a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKFUKUOS8Ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AkfBpFdPeU&t=8s
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank you.  I am downloading the SmartSDR now.  Can you tell I'm anxious?
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am in Lake Wales, Florida and have not found anyone local using Flexradio.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Get some switch ports from your router or a small switch at your operating desk and that will go a long way. If you get the radio, Power Genius XL and maestro that’s 3 ports already. Add an antenna Genius and you’re out 4 ports already.
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    All of these devices use an actual physical Ethernet port, Ria?

73, Jim KQ6EA/0
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

You don't need to put your radio in the same room as your router. I am using the Asus Aimesh which allows one to create mesh nodes that operate on the same SSID. I have my radio in the garage with all the goodies hooked to my Asus router/node. I operate from anywhere in the house or yard using a computer or IOS device. Mesh nodes are wonderful!

Jim, K6QE

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The biggest thing you need to do to get ready is get yourself mentally prepared to have:

Mind blowing fun!

If you are anything like the rest of us here you will become a Flex-Nerd and eat, sleep, and dream in panadapteric resolution!

You will need a full couple of unhampered days to unpack, install, and just poke away at the radio and wipe up the drool regularly.  

But ya...  Do go hardwired on the network.   It works great WiFi but you have to have good gear.

Look for me on CW:  40m  and up around 7.165 SSB.

Mark - WS7M
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thank you.  I watched the videos you suggested and a few more.  I have an old Pyramid PS-35 rated at 13.8v 12 amp that I am planning on using.  I have added a volt meter to the front panel.
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank you for your comment.  I am in a motorhome for now and use a Verizon MiFi which does not have physical Ethernet ports.  I was planning on Cat 6 from the 6700 to my laptop and connecting to the MiFi.  Will this work?
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm not using a real router in the coach.  Do I have to have an actual router or can I use the MiFi?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Jim - the radio and the amp use wired ethernet ports and have no WiFi. Ditto the coax switch. The maestro can use WiFi or wireless. I prefer wired over WiFi because it’s a more stable connection.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Van - what you describe will work. It’s not like you’ll be able to do smartlink with the mifi anyway. However if you do plan to get an amp or coax switch you’ll want to connect them to a switch rather than direct connect to the laptop.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Van,
    12A is not enough.
    You need something with 24 or 25A or more peak.
    Andrew VK5CV

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good catch Andrew. 

Van I suggest using a linear power supply, such as Astron RS-35A or RS-35M, or if you want a bit more head room, the Astron RS-50A or RS-50M. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Use the mifi with your laptop. It will be fine. Later on if you expand the config you'll probably want to get a small 5 port switch.

Ria
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited January 2018
    Van email me at kc4go@arrl.net  I'm just north of Orlando (Casselberry, FL) 
    Looks like you might be in an RV  send me an email I'll send you a phone #
    Dan 
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, Ria. I prefer using wired connections as well.
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, I've added a power supply to my want list for the Ft. Myers hamfest.  If I can't find one there I will order one.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Don't be afraid of switching power supplies. Some of the new ones are actually very good with noise, compact and lightweight. 
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If you opt for a switching power supply, do your research and choose very carefully.   I prefer not to take any chances.  I only use linear power supplies.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Van,

Not sure if you have an iPad, but if you do you can download the iOS version of SmartSDR and it does have simulator.  The controls are somewhat similar.

Mark - WS7M
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The 12A PS is fine provided it is used to charge a battery that feeds all your 13.8V requirements.  This handles peak currents well and as a bonus will keep the equipment up over power problems - time depending on size of battery.
    I have used 10Ah Li for portable and 120Ah (retired eCom) for base.
    Depending on the battery, a charger is in order, such as PowerGate PG40S on which I do NOT use the Out but connect directly to the battery as my 12V bus.  
  • N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank you.  I am not familiar with the PowerGate PG40S but I will add it to my wishlist.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I strongly support the battery station feed but there are other options for charging.  Our club station has three operating positions, each with a dedicated battery and charged by a Samlex 30A charger with 3 separate charging outputs.  The PG40S is an expensive option especially since the only part used is the 14V charger.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.