Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bit cable

I got an FTDI C232HM-EDHSL-0 cable and I have two problems with 6500 , SSDR last version.

1 - It works very well as BCD, selecting Bit cable type too, but only choosing band trigger. If I use Frequency range, it doesn't work. Made a test with Lo: 7000000 and Hi: 7200000 only one slice A tuned at 7121850.

2 - I espected a voltage output on pin of about 5VDC, I instead read 3,27 VDC.
Cable is not DDHSL, is 5V version EDHSL. The multimeter is accurate (Fluke).
I wish an output following Yaesu BCD standard that is TTL level. I know that over 2,7V
is anyway "1", but why I can't get 5V as the FTDI Datasheet?

I have two cables, both works same manner...

Someone could help me?

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I too use the 5V cable and receive reliable triggering. I am using a powered USB hub. I suggest you try that to see if it makes a difference. 

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Dave K9UWB
    Dave K9UWB Member
    edited February 2020
    I have the same cable and I have measured the voltage with the same readings.  The spec sheet for electrical Characteristics are the same for both cables when it comes to output from what i see in the data sheet.  As you stated a TTL output is not 5 volts for a 1, but something in the 3 Volt range.  BCD cable is working well for me no powered hub needed.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited February 2020
    Thank both for yr report, What about point 1? Could you get properly working the function Bit with frequency range?
  • Dave K9UWB
    Dave K9UWB Member
    edited June 2017
    I use BCD to do band switching of my home brew amplifier.  What i have seen is the output goes dead when the radio is tuned out of band. ( not sure what BCD code is sent when radio is out of band).  I am not sure what you are doing with it so, I am not much help beyond what i have set up.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    There isn't a default band for BIT cables. If the definition goes out of range (band) it goes ‘untriggered’ - whether that is high or low. Same is true for BCD too.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    Yes but my problem is different, I set band trigger, I set Vfo A within the values lohi but it doesn't work....
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Stefano - Can you send me a screenshot of the cable setup?
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017

Yes Tim, I hope this helps you to understand where I'm wrong.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The I/O from your cable is only supposed to be 3.3V. Follow the link and see the spec: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_C232HM_MPSSE_CABLE.PDF Your cable has a VCC of 5V but I/O is 3.3 and 5V tolerant.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited February 2018
    Yes Mark, understood, I espected TTL out level, but with 3.3V I'm in the "1" range. Now I only have to get the freq range trigger working.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sorry for answering, already answered question. Use MHz not Hz so 7.0 and 7.2
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Did you see my response last night to use MHz instead of Hz for freq range triggers?
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited February 2018
    Thank for the suggestion Mark, but it doesn't work. I wrote 7.0 and 7.2, then I closed the window and SSDR. I opened SSDR, then Usb Cables window again and the values were changed into 70000000 and 72000000.....I don't understand, the SW converted the values in Hz and added a zero........
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I tested this scenario last night and it functioned normally for me; what color wire are you using for BIT 0?
    Also noticed you were using comma for decimal separator on original message; What is your Windows locale setting? Specifically number formatting.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    Bit 0 is the orange wire. I made a test using lo freq 7 and hi freq 8 and now it works.
    You are right, Mark, the problems depends from decimal separator. If I set lo freq 7.2 and hi freq 8.2, the SW changes the values into 72 an 82, and this is wrong.
    If I set lo freq 7,2 and hi freq 8,2, it works, but when I exit from ssdr and start again the program, the SW changes the values into 7000000 and 8000000.
    Indeed it works, but my setting is lost (7,2 and 8,2 Mhz).
    In my opinion it seems a software bug.
    Mark, My Win system is using comma as decimal separator, I live in Europe...
    Anyway thank you so much for yr very precious help, now I hope FRS find a quick solution :)
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    Tim, please, I'm still waiting an official reply... it seems there is a bug in the USB management software when installed in a PC whose sistem is metric...
  • IZ2ODM
    IZ2ODM Member
    edited December 2017
    Hello guys , I have EXATLY THE SAME PROBLEM (in every point) like described by Stefano. I use a denkovi relay board connected directly to Flex (usb port). In freq. range- bit cable set- it does not works. ...comma..point.... Hz or Mhz used..problem exist anyway. Please reply

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, there could be an issue with a metric system. Here is an example of my bit cable setup using Imperial system. Let me know if you confirm this is a bug and I'll report it to the Flex developers.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team

• IZ2ODM
    IZ2ODM Member
    edited December 2017
    I just confirm what Stefano found..In few word...if i use "7.0" it change in 7000000 .samw with"7,2" .But for sure , it is totally random. Please let me know if you use "IMPERIAL" instead of"METRIC" and if in this case it works properly. If affermative , please let me know ho change system from metric to imperial. Thanks Mack

• Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited December 2017
    Mack, I documented the bug 7 monthes ago, Tim knows the problem. In Friedrichshafen I explained it once more directly to Gerald.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I see this issue too. Very frustrating - means you can never be certain which antenna you are on. No antenna display in SSDR either, so just relying on guess work.
  • IZ2ODM
    IZ2ODM Member
    edited December 2017
    Gello guys... yesterday i changed windows setting of the pc where sdr flex run; from ","to "." In both numeric and value table. After that i set relay 0 to freq range , writing exatly "1.8 to 3.8"and, on relays 2 "7 to 30" that are my antenna factory range. It seems works properly...i have to test today again for double check...an i'll let you know...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.