Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 and N1MM - Can they work together?

N5BA
N5BA Member
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Running Flex 6500 v1.9.13.  Trying to get this to work with the most recent N1MM program.  I know my Flex 5000 could work this complicated arrangement, but the 6 series seems immune.
I've looked through the Community filings and see many comments on using Flex and N1MM, but everyone seems to be SO2R, have a WinKeyer, and CW Skimmer.  I don't plan to work SO2R.
I don't have a WinKey, nor do I plan to use CW Skimmer.

I've told N1MM, on the Config page, to look at Com4, which is what I have set up on CAT.  I've tried clicking "CW/Other" or not clicking it.  Regardless, I get "No CW port is set in Config."

For the 160 contest this weekend used my key and logged using my computer logging program to work a couple of Q's.  Not the best way to really run and enter a contest.

Do I have to use SO2R?
Do I have to have WinKey?
Do I need CW Skimmer?

Do I need to find a contesting program that works with Flex.  If so, any ideas?

TNX for your help.

Brian N5BA

Answers

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Flex 6000 series work very well with N1MM+. Follow the directions and set up as indicated. Just because it is setting up SO2V does not require you to use it that way. There is also Winkeyer emulation built into SDR again set it up you do not need to use it Mike N9DFD
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Do I have to use SO2R?
    I don't. I have  N1MM+ set up to SO1V. Works just fine for me.
    Do I have to have WinKey?
    Yes. WinKey is built into the radio. You need to set up a WinKey port in SmartCat and then point to that in N1MM+.
    Do I need CW Skimmer?
    Nice to have but definitely not required.

Kev K4VD
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Brian -

Do I have to use SO2R? - Not if you don't want to. Even on my 6700 I turn it off for some contests.

Do I have to have WinKey? - No. You can actually send "CATASC" commands directly but it is messy. Winkey is better. 

Do I need CW Skimmer? - You don't need it. However, the Flex 6000 series is by far the most reliable with it. I have never seen any of my K3/S owning friends with a fully working skimmer setup.  However if you only do unassisted contesting then you don't need skimmer. 
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thank you Chris as this is a great, helpful, straight forward tutorial. I've been lurking in the weeds watching responses on this one as I thought I might try the same set up now that I have CW Skimmer working and have fallen in love with it! TNA agn.
    Rick, W2JAZ
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    no problem Rick..  and Brian do let us know how it went for you as well
  • N5BA
    N5BA Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes - It now knows how to operate.  Thanks for the help.

As I said earlier, I can find no reference to the Winkey app in the knowledge base.

Would be good to get the instructions you gave me a spot on the "FLEX Signature Series Help Center."
    That way they should be easy to find.

Thanks Again
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Actually I have an action item to provide just that Document to Tim, this will also serve as a base for that document.  November/Early December is a busy contest month, I have logged 6200 qso's since 11/1.  The season slows down a bit in Dec so I should be able to do a few of these for the gang. 
  • Greg, N6GD
    Greg, N6GD Member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks!!  After trying several other formulas from other threads that didn't work, your does!  Very simple and very clearly written.  I can't tell you how excited I am to have this working finally!

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    fantastic, I forgot I wrote this up.. just need to take this and add some screen shots for time and a long standing action item is taken care of ;-).
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited November 2017
    Thank you Thank you.  N1MM now finally works.

Roger
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited November 2017
    It would be nice if FRS could just copy and past somewhere on their web page.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.