Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro display

Ken K7YR
Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in New Ideas
I know that Flex has not chosen to implement a time function display on the Maestro, however seems that the function exists in the underlying software.

Appears to be a no brainier to me. It would be a nice addition and enhance reminding to ID, respond to schedules, logging and many functions that result in normal operation.

Many places where the remote is used lack access to a clock.  Please consider implementation of this feature.  There is plenty of room at the top of the display

Ken K7YR

Comments

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Maestro's computer has time of day, but as you say there is no panel display. (Unless you freeze the waterfall.  Then you can see a snapshot of the current time.)

The time seems to have been set once at the Dell CPU's birth and then not locked to the real world afterward, unless your radio has the GPSDO option.  With GPSDO, you get high quality UTC timing.

I imagine Flex is reluctant to commit programming resources to this function, since they'd have to provide ways to set the time, either manually, from the Internet (if available via NTP or similar), or from a local PC, if available.   Not rocket science, but lots of fussing for a low priority feature, they'd say.

All that said, it would be an obvious addition to the user interface!  Once you have it, you could have a QSO timer, a wake-up alarm, and all that stuff you expect on a Windows tablet.

73 Martin AA6E
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    A clock/timer has always been on my wish list. Right beside a memory knob. Set a function button to memory and deploy one of the knobs to select stored memories.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    A Windows computer (like the Maestro) is actually a pretty terrible clock compared to other devices. Without regular correction from an accurate source, the multitasking operating system gets flummoxed. The harder it's working the worse it gets.

Your cell phone is a much better source of clock time. Accurate time is one of the requirements to make the cellular network work.

IMNSHO, program resources should be devoted to better radio performance, not making a $1200 alarm clock. 
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Windows on PCs has no problem keeping time to +/- 0.1 sec (or better) with the help of NTP. You need Internet, of course. (A REAL ham system should get time from WWV.) I agree it's low priority, but higher than selectable skins.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I understand why some would need GPSDO but I don't at this time. I felt an Antenna Genius was money better spent. I don't need an atomic clock as I don't care if it's a few seconds incorrect. I don't have anyone that is requiring me to be synced to NNTP servers. If I do want to get the exact time I can look at my cell phone but if I'm using my Maestro I do not want to fumble around to find a wall clock or find my cell phone. I do want to know the general time ideally displayed near the top center and shuts off when any button, dial or know is touched, then turns back on a few seconds later.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.