Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPS spoofing noted

Alex_KM5YT
Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in New Ideas
This URL refs an art. on GPS spoofing:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2143499-ships-fooled-in-gps-spoofing-attack-suggest-russian-cyb...

... and I have suggested several times that future Flex offerings consider the use of a receiver module that references all GNSS systems available (with flexibility to add more in future+).
And we can hold our collective breaths for a compact inertial package.

Comments

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi Alex:

I can understand the concern for navigation but not so much how this affects Flex radios in any critical way. It might just be that I don't use my Flex for anything that requires ultra-critical timing and definitely my radio doesn't care where it is.

I don't have the GPSDO module. Calibrating with WWV on restart seems sufficient. Even if WWV were not available I wonder if I would notice anything. My old FT-1K or TS-820 were never sync'd to GPS and very rarely to WWV except maybe to calibrate the sound card I was using at the time.

What is it about the (seemingly speculative) article that would cause a Flex user concern?

Kev K4VD

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The high-altitude EMPs from the 1st wave of a nuclear strike will take out all the Flex radios anyway. If your communications capability is that mission-critical get yourself a good KWM-2A.  ;)

• Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭

21/3/2022: I think we have a good chance now (RUS/UKR) to see how backup/optional GNSSs m i g h t help: https://avia-pro.net/news/ssha-namereny-polnostyu-otklyuchit-gps-na-territorii-rossii and I hope Flex will incorporate that in the series 7000 radios - as I have mentioned. And it could well be that all the GNSSs will get plinked if things turn hot.

... as for EMPS, if one has gear well-stored/caged they will be able to operate subsequent to a nuclear attack, and even though I'm a great fan of KWM-2s -- they also contain semi-conductor junctions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.