Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FT8 sound settings

David Edgar
David Edgar Member
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I'm having a difficult time trying to get the computer and FT8 sound settings working with each other. Some setting choices in the computer don't show in the FT8 dropdown. And what is showing activity in my computer setting is one that isn't listed in FT8.

Some changes I've tried have made the FT8 waterfall go crazy with solid vertical stripes. Others are not getting sound to the program but aren't making the waterfall crazy. Frustration is setting in.

I currently have DAX Audio TX selected for Playback on the computer and DAX IQ RX 1 as Recording (this selection is showing activity). In the Playback portion I have activity on DAX Reserved IQ RX 1 but I don't have that selection in the FT8 dropdown.

Help??

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Here are the correct settingsimage
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    DAX IQ does not provide a conventional audio stream, so should not be used for AFSK-style digital mode applications. Some apps like CWSkimmer, support IQ streams.
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

DAX Audio Tx is selected on the computer in the Playback tab and the Output tab in the Audio setting in WSJT-X.

DAX Audio RX 1 is selected on the computer in the Recording tab and the Input tab in WSJT-X.

WSJT-X is not showing receiving activity in the waterfall nor the Band Activity window.

No signal strength showing in the db meter.

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

You must NOT have DAX selected in the computer sound Recording or Playback tabs! This makes them unavailable for WSJT-X. Instead, choose your computer speakers for playback and the sound card mic for recording in the Windows Sound dialogs.

Also, make sure that DAX is enabled in SmartSDR for both receiving and transmitting, and that the DAX streams are enabled in the DAX control panel. DAX receive selection is on the receiver flag and DAX transmit enable is on the control panel at the right side of the SmartSDR screen.

Craig, KØCF

• David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

In the Sound for the computer the only thing showing activity in the Recording tab is DAX IQ RX 1. The little scale off to the right hand side has the green bars moving around but no activity is showing in the Default DAX Audio RX 1.

And somehow I have DAX IQ RX 1 also being selectable, but not, in the Playback tab.

• David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

I don't have a sound card mic showing in the Recording tab.

• David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

Everything there is DAX something or other.

• Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited September 2017
    After successfully using settings for several weeks my Rx audio suddenly stopped in WSJTX. I suspected DAX and reinstalled but still no result. Finally I deleted my WSJT config file and reentered everything and All was perfect, at least until somebody told me I was reporting about 300 miles north as I had a typo in the grid! So if all else fails that is a possibility. I could see nothing wrong in the file but clearly it had corrupted.
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

Reset but still no joy.

• David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

This is what is available to me in the computers Playback tab:

DAX Reserved Audio RX 1 thru 8

DAX Reserved IQ RX 1 thru 4

DAX Reserved MIC Audio

DAX Audio TX

Speakers

SPDIF Interface (TX1)

HD Audio HDMI out

And in the Recording tab I have:

DAX Audio RX 1 thru 8

DAX IQ RX 1 thru 4

DAX MIC Audio

DAX Reserved Audio TX

That is all. Nothing else is listed in either tab.

• Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited September 2017
    You do have DAX selected in the active slice? Does the DAX control panel show any modulation on that receiver?
  • Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited September 2017
    Also works with Map65 from the Wsjt suite.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Why are you screwing around with the Audio Tabs LOOK AT THE PICTURE I POSTED ABOVE OF THE CORRECT SETTINGS FOR FT8 IN WSJT-X
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Are you trying to select the DAX RX and TX channels via the "Computer" sound selections or are you in the WSJT-X FT8 configuration menu?    Is your DAX Control panel visible so you can see the TX and RX Stream activity?   where are you located...  I can call if you like and help you through the setup.
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017
    I did look at the picture you posted. I used those same settings in WSJT-X and they did not work.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    If ur still confused please post screen shots of 1. FT8 Settings 2. DAX COntrol panel' 3. Windows sound controls 4. SSDR TX and Slice Controls so we can diagnose your problems
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017
    DAX is selected in the active slice.
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm in north central TN. DAX control panel is visible. 
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017
    Now my wired internet connection has gone kaput to the ham computer and radio. The internet works on all the other computers/etc. in the house.
    i'm giving up for today. I'll try again tomorrow so I don't throw everything out the window.
    (This was posted from a computer that STILL has internet.)
  • David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017
    My internet connection to the ham computer and radio has stopped for some reason. I'm giving up for today before I throw something out the window. 

• David Edgar
    David Edgar Member
    edited September 2017

Got the internet back after having to do a hard reboot of the router. I was going to post screen shots of everything for you guys to troubleshoot. However, WSJT-X is now working exactly as it should. Receiving, decoding, transmitting, the whole shooting match.

I hadn't changed a thing from last night to today other than the reboot of the router and restarting the computer this morning.

At least it works.

Thanks for the attempts at assistance. I appreciate it.

N7VRZ 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.