Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR V2.0 and Hotspots

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I found out yesterday that hotspots and smartsdr v2.0 do not play nice. The hotspots I'm referring to are the AT&T and Straight Talk. They do not pass UPD data, all I got was smartsdr panadapter with no spectrum and no waterfall. Does anyone know of any hotspots that perform well? Thanks.

Answers

• KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited August 2017
    From experience using the hotspots with remote cameras for work we have had to use the SIM card in most cases with a 3rd party device such as a Cradlepoint. This way you have actual router controls. 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    my Verizon Netgear MiFi  works great, I have also used it on my Verizon Samsung S7 having it's hotspot turned on. 
    I haven't tried it on AT&T but would be interested in your results if you get it to work as I might be switching services to AT&T but not if it has problems with UDP.

Also have you tried EchoLink it uses several UDP ports to see if it is actually the hotspot router blocking them or something else is going on. 

A lot of hot spot Routers I have had from Verizon DO have a built in Router, try connecting to the hot spot with a computer, usually @ 192.168.1.1 and admin as your login ID with your WEB browser, your wireless password should be the router password, poke around in it and see if you can get into the port forwarding setting and see if you can change it to pass the ports or have a DMZ IP setting.

Hope this helps
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Some mobile ISPs do give problems. T-Mobile is one of them. ATT, not so sure. 
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I also found out about T-Mobile trying an Alcatel LINKZONE :/
    Using my Samsung GS 5 as a Hotspot on Sprint works well.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I found that using ATT and iphone or iPad Hitspots works well Internationally I use a HUAWEI E5377 Hitspot and local country SIM's Results vary dramatically between carriers and geographic locations Example Works great on Orange France in Paris and Nice but blocks waterfall in Avignon. Worked great on Orange in Costa Brava Spain, Czech Republic and Freidrichshafen Will be testing it in Italy this week.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.