Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Future V2 enhancements.

John VK3XM
John VK3XM Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas
Since V2 has been released there have been many suggestions as to what Flex should include in future releases.  Many of these have merit,  but in MHO the noise reduction technology described in this YouTube would benefit us all especially as the HF bands are not good at this time of the cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVDL_-HOds
This video covers 3 subjects the noise reduction is the middle one.
It is my understanding that this facility is just computer programing and does not require any hardware changes and therefore would work with all of the 6xxx family.
If implemented it would confirm that the FLEX Signature Series are the best money buy.

Comments

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just a note, while your suggested idea may be a software-only improvement, the compute resources inside the Flex 6000 series radios Is finite, and more complex noise reduction either may not be possible at all, or may increase latency processing real-time signal processing to an unacceptable level.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2017

Ken, understand your point on this but I certainly hope its not the case. It would be rather short sighted for a thin-client radio not to have the power to do the heavy lifting that's required on the server-side to process all the digital data.

We are all getting problems from electronic smog these days, so here's hoping that NR2 is already on the list of things to do at Flex.

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The second segment starts at 41 minutes into the stream and is presented by Warren. NR0V.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I agree. If hardware limitations are the reason for not doing it, it would certainly suggest the chips flex used are incapable of much in the way of future upgrades. But then you don't sell enough radios if you don't have hardware limitations.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Not knowing the calculations involved, I am only putting forth the point that these are radios spec' out several years ago (the pre 6400/6600 radios), and I doubt they were designed with, making up a number, 100% excess compute capacity beyond that needed to support the radio as released a few years ago. I'm certain there is headroom, I'm sure that v2.0.17 didn't max out compute facilities of current radios, but I am also confident that there will come a point, maybe not for a few years, where the compute engine will be maxed out.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Interesting video.  Although the description and explanations were pretty in-depth, there was a lot of it that just went right over my head.

One question I have is can this or any part of this spectral noise reduction be done in the audio chain?  In other words, can it be done on the PC prior to the audio being piped to the speakers or headset?

Norm - W7CK
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    In case some of you Flexers did not listen the YouTube through to the section on noise reduction which starts at the 41 minute point.  Can I recommended that you scroll through and do so, there is a 23 second before and after demo which shows just what noise reduction is potentially available in modern SDR's.
    It would be great if the Flex developers could have a look and tell us if this noise reduction is a possibility going forward.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.