Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Laptop recommendation for flex 3000

Pierre Martel
Pierre Martel Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
I am searching for a laptop that can support my flex 3000. I have the idea of operating on the move and dont need a large desktop for that. with the fact that laptop are way faster then they were when the 3000 hit the shelf, It would be a breeze to run on those machine.

Answers

• Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I use a old 2009 windows 7 for mine---- works great

Check out KC0CF's web site for great used laptops ready for SDR. He post on QTH under Computers and accs

I have bought a couple of the older cheap ones and they work great!

http://kc0cfiowa.wixsite.com/photos/laptops-for-sale

Larry

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Remember you need a FireWire connection, be sure it's 1934a host adapter compatible
  • Pierre Martel
    Pierre Martel Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Larry and David. Will take a look at the link Larry gave. But I would prefer a nice new machine ;-) so David comments on the 1934a host will also help.
  • Todd
    Todd Member
    edited June 2017
    I think you meant a 1394a adapter? (perhaps a typo?)
    Also, certain chipsets on the FireWire adapter are required. Flex has an article detailing this in the knowledge base.
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Get as large a screen as you can tolerate carrying around.
  • Pierre Martel
    Pierre Martel Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    that is the best comment so far ;-)
  • Pierre Martel
    Pierre Martel Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    think you are right. since i have dislexia I always mix numbers ;-)
  • Sasi VK5SN
    Sasi VK5SN Member
    edited June 2017

Please go for a machine with excellent processing power. Ideally I7. The second most important aspect to consider is the compatibility of the Firewire port to operate Flex3K. I have had good luck with Dell and Sony that used to come built in with the Firewire port. The modern ones do not. So you will need a compatible firewire adapter. If you are in the USA visit <http://www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/> Neil used to sell a lot of Flex compatible hardware and Flex ready machines

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52, which has firewire and works with my Flex-3k.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Here are the key items.  The laptop MUST have an ExpressCard slot for adding a Firewire adapter.  Do not rely on an integrated interface to provide the performance or compatibility needed for the FLEX-3000.

The key to a good performing laptop is low DPC latency.  I have seen Bluetooth and WiFi adapters that generated long duration DPCs to the extent that the PC was unusable with a FLEX-5000/3000.  And cost is not an indicator of good performance.  I purchased a high-end Dell portable "workstation" that was unusable.

I know people have had good luck with some older model ThinkPads.
  • vectorizer
    vectorizer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It's only one datapoint, but I bought a Dell Latitude E5410 with a built-in 4 pin Firewire port, at a hamfest for $90. I'm doing what you want to do ... operating mobile in contests and events with a Flex 3000. Has just enough CPU power for most things ... it is a bit laggy when tuning quickly but that's not a big problem with the events I'm in (parks on the air, state QSO parties). But I might have gotten lucky, I didn't study and fret, just saw the Dell being offered and took a bit of chance.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.