Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro dies when internal Battery Dies..Does the display of 6400M /6600M have similar "design featu

K3SF
K3SF Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in Maestro
I have read a few posting about the Maestro internal battery going dead  when not plugged into power source of a period of time ( ~ months) and it can not be revived by the end user and must be sent back to the factory for repair.

So my question is does the display of the 6400M /6600M suffer the same fate??

Does it contain a battery that might not only will take down the whole display but possibly the whole radio?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have killed my battery in my Maestro a few times and it has never been sent back.  I do it as part of Alpha testing.

If this happens, it is a rare case.  I suspect that Tim or Dudley might comment.

Mike va3mw

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

@Paul K3SF - as an FYI the phenomena is not universal with all Maestro allowed to go completely discharged.  Of the three Maestro I've been working with only one had to go in for a restart, and once factory refreshed it has been A-Okay since. 

On the refreshed Maestro FlexRadio Systems was kind enough to send a shipping label, cover return shipping, and covered the service costs. 

Gerald K5SDR has said the new M-models (Flex-6400M and Flex-6600M) are very different "under the hood" utilize major components from several vendors. 

He has also told us that the M-model while functionally very similar to a radio with a Maestro faceplate, that it is a different configuration.

That said I would expect that FRS will avoid the issues as part of the integration of accumulated knowledge into the newest models.

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    So my question is does the display of the 6400M /6600M suffer the same fate??

It will not.

Does it contain a battery that might not only will take down the whole display but possibly the whole radio?

The display unit is separate from the radio in this regard so the answer is no, a fault in the display would not take down the radio.  
  • K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Tim, please clarify.  Do the Maestro and the 6400M/6600M use volatile memory so that if stored in their boxes for 12 or more months there likely will be a problem if the battery discharges during storage time? 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    They do not use volatile memory
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    There is no internal battery in the FLEX-6400M/6600M models.  So no, you would not have to consider this issue.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Thank you...

That was very specific and to the point and clearly addresses my concern.

I am a 6300 owner and have reserved my upgrade to the 6600M
    right after Dayton.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.