Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any insite into v2.0 internet functionality?

WV9L
WV9L Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Anyone havr info as to how the connectivity differs from those of is using static ip/ dyndns and softether? I get that the vpn will no longer be needed. But, is it safe to say we still need static public ip or dyndns? The reason i ask, is ive thought of relocationg my station to a remote location and using a cellular hotspot that is showing speeds of 40mb/25mb and pings of 26 ot less. I have unlimited data plan. But, after speaking to AT&T, it looks like they NAT device ip's on a VLAN. So, im not sure it will work. Anyone ever try that? Also any input on v2.0 functionality is greatly appreciated. Will it use UDP ports, etc.?

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    No static IP is needed. SmartSDR will connect to the SmartLink service (in the cloud) and then broker the connection. After that it's just client to radio and the cloud service is out of the picture. No ports to forward, everything will be fully automatic. You can override this if you wish.
    You can use either an account at flex or a social login like google or Facebook. The advantage of the latter is that it will allow 2 factor auth for additional security.

I can't comment more, sorry. However we are testing a variety of network connection types. Some will probably not work due to heavy restrictions (blocked ports etc) but it will be easier than VPN setup.

Of course if you still want to do vpn it will still work.

Ria
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It will work using AT&T iPhone or Hotspot Mack W4AX
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What Ria said.  :)

de va3mw
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Using my iPhone, Verizon LTE, have perfect QSO's using Apple L2TP, with Softhether on the server end with a computer. Fortunately, I have an unlimited band plan so I enjoy my Flex wherever there is Verizon (or WiFi), which is just about everywhere in So. Cal. The latency is negligible. As an aside, Apple does not support TAP OpenVPN  so OpenVPN app is worthless for Flex work.

Jim, K6QE

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You can specify the ip in SSDR for iOS so openvpn can work that way. image
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Jim, Thats how i am operating now, too. I operate 99% of the time via my ipad or iphone. Works great.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Mack, I am meaning using the hotspot at the radio/server end. I have a hotspot in my unlimited plan. But it looks like its getting NAT'd an internal ip from AT&T. I couldnt ever get connected from cell data on my phone, back to the radio itself. I also couldnt connect to my home security cams. By it being NAT'd behind AT&T's network switch, i have no control of port forwatding, etc. So, even when i put my dyndns address or the dynamic ip (i found by running "whats my ip", behind the hotspot) in the fixed info in the ios app on my devices, it failed to see the radio. Running a trace route from behind the hotspot, i see NAT'd LAN from AT&T. Bummer :-( I was hoping to dump my dsl provider and use my unlimited hotspot as my home internet source. Also, maybe moving the station to a remote location on our family farm, if it would have worked.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    imageimage
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Ria
  • Jeff
    Jeff Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I am using an Iphone 7 Plus and an Ipad Pro.  OpenVPN is on my ASUS router and I am able to connect to it with my iphones or any other device through OpenVPN.  I use it with SmartSDR all the time without any problem.  I have used it stateside and overseas.  I use a Flex-6500 at home. I use Verizon LTE.

Here is a link on how to set up OpenVPN on an ASUS router: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008713

The advantage to this method is that you don't need a computer on your network to act as the VPN server.  All the magic happens inside the router.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I dont think you guys are understanding....... I have vpn up and running 100%. Im asking if anyone has been able to use a hotspot as their internet source at the radio end, NOT at the remote end.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes I have used 4G at the radio source during testing of a double homed router to give me an alternate path when my cable Internet fails. It seemed to work ok albeit did not use it extensively after initial test. Did not test it with V2 yet
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Howard. What cell carrier do you have?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    AT&T. Coverage 1-2 bars LTE. Which is why it's only a backup to my cable modem. Left the USA before I could seriously test it with V2. But definitely albeit marginally useable with VPN. V1.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    How did you get it setup? I was gonna use a ubiquiti nano station to connect to the AT&T mifi hotspot, then put a 4-port switch behind it, to comnect the 6500 and the pc running the softether server. I had it all setup and had internet. But never could access the rig from remote (WAN) via my iphone or ipad. It appeared that AT&T had a NAT to a VLAN behind their switch (maybe a double one, refer to my pics above), so i never could get to my device.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The ATT hotspot is a second INTERNET port into my router. I set the router to bridge that route into the main LAN I used a dynamic dns to expose the ATT IP. Which seems to change every few hours. Don't seem to be bothered by ATT NAT but YMMV I should point out that this is an emergency backup route into my WANand has never been used extensively I put it in after I had connection issues with my primary systems and being thousands of miles away needed to be able to access things to fix connections. It does work BUT it's not great Sounds like ATT must be blocking ports on you. You might want to run an open ports checker ND THEN COMPLAIN TO YOUR CARRIER THAT YOU CANNOT USE VPN
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    No, they are putting a public ip at a regional switch it looks like, then assigning a LAN address at each of the sites, then running a VLAN on the devices on that site. The ip im getting is a lan ip. So from the outside it has no way to know the routing to get back to devices behind my mifi. Essentially there ends up being 3 LANs to hop thru back to the public ip, thats shared with who knows how many people. Guess im stuck with my over priced and **** cable ISP. Id like to relocate my station to a rural spot i have, but there is no internet but cellular, so thats why i was researching this.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Take a look at LOGMEIN HAMACHI. it will span NAT https://www.vpn.net/
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It's called carrier grade NAT and is a valid question. I've not tested this use case (cell only at the remote end). I don't know if anyone else has. Ria
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    While I haven't tested it with Flex, I did test a Softether VPNAzure tunnel and it did work.   

Mike va3mw
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    There was one case of a guy in Québéc I was trying to set up a vpn with and it didn't work. I think his isp was blocking even vpn azure.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.