Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Screen definition of new Maestro production batch ?

Will the new production run of the Maestro have the same uprated screen definition as the 6600M at 1920 x 1200 ?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2018
    The current production version of the Maestro does not have the same screen as the 6600M and the 6400M.  We are using the best (sharpest) IPS display available in the 6600M and the 6400M.
  • W4OCO Mike
    W4OCO Mike Member
    edited February 2018
    Will future productions be upgraded to the higher definition displays?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    It is something that we'll consider but are not committed to doing at this time since the Maestro is already in production.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If you ever go through another design change or upgrade to the Maestro, please please consider in-device charging and use a few user replaceable 18650 Li-IO batteries or even better yet the newer and much safer Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4, LFE) batteries.   It is a royal pain to have to constantly be swapping batteries in and out of the Maestro because on-board charging was considered too complicated and/or dangerous.

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I see
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Is there a very noticeable difference in the quality of the image of the Maestro and the new displays?

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    >"Is there a very noticeable difference in the quality of the image of the Maestro and the new displays?"

The existing Maestro display resolution is incredibly sharp. The 6400M/6600/M I saw at Dayton/Xenia seemed to have equivalent resolution with the current Maestro, but a side-by-side comparison is needed -- and no doubt this has been done by the folks at FRS. 

Just a hunch, but I doubt the difference is immediately apparent.  With all displays, there's a point of diminishing returns and varies based on screen area.  It's nice to think that a 35% or even 100% increase in numerical resolution always yields an increase in visual perception.  But that increase is dependent on display area.  There's a point where no matter what increase in resolution occurs, the eye cannot discern the difference.  Also, just because the display used is manufactured with higher resolution doesn't mean the end product utilizes the resolution increase. For example, consider watching NTSC video on a 4K display.

For any manufacturer, you want to use the latest displays and chip sets available to stay ahead of obsolescence and then tout it in a marketing brochure.  So, in this case, it may make sense to increase the M version's resolution as that is the currently available product -- even if the detected resolution is small or even zero.

Paul, W9AC 
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Paul....nice assessment of the two displays....

Harry
    W0LS
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    Just for tech stats, both screens are ~8".
    Maestro display resolution is 1280x800 (~1M pixels).
    FLEX-6400M/6600M display resolution is 1920x1200 (~2.3M pixels).
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Minor segway if I may, my maestro takes longer to boot on battery that plugged to dc power? Have any of you noticed this?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    One advantage of the higher resolution is the option to fit more "stuff" in the same real estate.
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ok..so the new display has 2x the resolution. So if a person was able to view the displays side by side might that person be disappointed with the Maestro display or would they look very close to the same on the 8" wide screen?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    I have a lot of "seat time" with both.  There are some subtle quality differences.  I would not characterize it as very noticeable. 

It should be noted that the Maestro display resolution is 1280x800 whereas the FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600M is 1920x1200
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ok Tim...good info. I have had a Maestro on order since Dec and in light of the new products etc I was curious. At first I was thinking that the new display would be put into the new run since redesign had to be done anyway but I suppose its not that simple...

Thanks...
    Harry
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Given the age of most hams you won't be able to discern much difference.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    ^ LOL

The current Maestro is 190 dpi (dots per inch) and the M series is around 275 dpi so roughly a 45 % improvement. (edited because I had my math wrong)

For context, an Apple Mac Book has a dpi of 225

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.