Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M Front Panel

Noticed on the specs page the 6600M can have 4 slice receivers at a time. I take it only 2 are available at a time on the front panel. Can the radio be operated with the PC and smart SDR to show all 4 slices at once and the front panel at the same time.

I know when I had my 6500 with Maestro it was either one or the other and couldn't do both at the same time.

Answers

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Good question.  I have a 6600m on order. I plan to run it on Smart SDR most the time but I am assume that if you run the radio in knob mode its a 2 receiver radio. If so, I am surprised Flex does not add an * saying requires software control to run additional two slices.

I have not used a Maestro but I am guessing  you cant use the knobs to control SmartSDR?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    It is a good question.  We are talking about how to accomplish this on the 6600M screen that is best used for a maximum of 2 panafalls.  If you have any ideas on how to do the presentation, we'd love to hear your ideas.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Is it multi-touch capable?  Maybe a two finger left/right swipe (or up/down?) to bring in the additional panafalls.  Or a mini picture-in-picture overlay in the corner, similar to how the Youtube app works on iphones.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    I am not sure of the current display capabilities, but that is a reasonable idea.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Tim,  I have not followed the Maestro at all and really dont have much to contribute.  2 slices on the radio is fine. Like I said I am surprised there is not something that says * requires software control for additional 2 slices.

I am buying a 6600m because of the second SCU. I could not afford a 6700 but this is in my reach. I chose the M version because I think the resale will be better and there is an off chance I might use the knobs when I have both 24" monitors tied up.

If any of my assumptions are incorrect please let me know as I am thinking about this from a typical technology standpoint and not from any experience with Flex.

I cant see where I would use the HDMI output on the radio as would have to switch my input back and forth between HDMI and DVI on the monitor  to make it work. Of course when switched to HDMI I cant use the monitor for anything else or minimize the radio.

So ideally, I would love to see the radio displayed on the monitor through the computer software and not HDMI, so I could minimize it or drag it smaller, etc.  I doubt that is going to be possible?

In the end I will probably not use the front panel controls on the 6600M unless I am busy with other applications on the monitors and just want to tune around while working on other things.

As always appreciate your response.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Maybe something like panafalls 1 and 2 showing then a swipe to the left on the screen would bring 3 where 1 is and a swipe on 2 would bring 4 into the display where 2 is
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    Understood.  Let me see if I can help.

I can't see where I would use the HDMI output on the radio as would have to switch my input back and forth between HDMI and DVI on the monitor to make it work. Of course, when switched to HDMI I cant use the monitor for anything else or minimize the radio.

So ideally, I would love to see the radio displayed on the monitor through the computer software and not HDMI, so I could minimize it or drag it smaller, etc.  I doubt that is going to be possible?

With the current implementation, your assumptions are correct.  However, when Multi-Client is released, you will be able to use SmartSDR for Windows running on your PC with the "M" version of the new radios.

There may be another option available in the future that will expand the capabilities of the onboard display.  I really can't speculate if, when or what that would be as I do not want to set any possible unrealized expectations.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well that would be great. 

I am sure it will be fine. Sometimes as an operator you just need to give a different methods a chance.  I remember as a Flex Newbie thinking I hope they change the software to look like a radio and a month later thinking I hope they DON'T change the software to look like a radio. LOL

The only thing I am sure of is I wont switch the input on the monitor back and forth. I have a 7800 connected to monitor 2 with a VGA cable and I never use it. Oh wait, I have not turned on the 7800 in months so I dont use it either  :(

Rich
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Tim - Wouldn't 'multi-client' be another solution to this issue (when it is released)?  i.e. Use multi-client to enable running the additional slices on a PC or separate Maestro on the same LAN?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    Absolutely it would.  But there is a use case where the radio is operated "standalone" without a client device connected to it where this type of capability would be desired.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I bet we all have some nice rigs that never get turned on anymore.

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, both the "M" models and Maestro have multi-touch capability.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Gerald. this is most interesting, how much can be put onto that screen? good thing you didn't offer 8 slices?
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Maybe enable 4 slices but only have 2 available on the display at any given time.  Have the ability to scroll to the other displays and be able to define which 2 of the 4 are on the screen at any given time?
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2017
    Different question but still front panel related...
    Any chance of mouse functionality? Would be nice for when you are blown up onto a big screen instead of fingerpoken the display.

Yeah yeah i can just run the software on the computer.

Steven
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    How about a virtual vertically scrolling feature of the panadapter part of the screen so it only shows 2 at a time (and the A knobs are assigned to the least enumerated shown slice)?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    I want to clarify that you definitely can connect to a FLEX-6600M (or a FLEX-6400M) from your PC.  Today you need to choose between operating the front panel and operating from another client like a PC.  At some point in the future, we expect to have multi-client features that would allow you to do both at the same time.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited August 2017
    This idea was brought up multiple times at the Hamvention show.  It is something that we are considering, but haven't yet committed to.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yea I assumed it will work just like my 6500 on PC mode. I just hope someday it will display a "window" on my monitor when in knob mode. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Allow the additional two pans/slices to be "thrown" to the larger HDMI screen and back with the multi-touch feature?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The mutli-client (and other ideas) will be key to the success of the 6600M for a number of reasons, some contesting related and some not.  I will enjoy watching this particular platform evolve.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    An Idea I had at the show and shared with someone (Eric or Abed, I can't remember):

Would the front panel of the 'M' models be able to be used to access OTHER stations via SmartLink as will be possible with a Maestro?  

It would be very handy at times when storms or bad propagation do not allow operation at the home station, or if one wants to check conditions on the other side of the country.

Or think of it, after Muti-Client is developed and released .... Have VFO Knob A controlling the local station, and VFO knob B controlling a remote station hundreds or thousands of miles away..... WOW, that would be fun!

Ken - NM9P 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I imagine this would be pretty easy to implement.. a good idea.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have no less than 3 other ideas for the 6600m display that I intend to share with the team once the dust settles.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ken - That *is* a great idea.  Hope it isn't a lot of work to implement someday.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Didn't I see a radio at one time where you could drag a window from the radio using a mouse to a monitor?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2017
    That is an interesting idea and one that we will consider.  No commitments at this point.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    None expected at this time...the rig isn't even out yet.  (grin).
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Interesting.  I had incorrectly assumed that SmartLink would operate as a client on the 6600M UI as it does on the Maestro UI. Sounds like that isn't the case, at least at the outset.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2017
    This is certainly possible technically.  We need to workout what makes sense for the user in that scenario.  It is a software design question.  We will explore it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.