Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Additional information on the new FlexRadio products...

Comments

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's what my guess was. The "M" for 6400 and 6600 is a bare bones add-on RF box for the Maestro turn it into a transceiver. Connections like PTT and audio could either be hardwire or via bluetooth.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Nice of them to tell us about that. Last week Flex said my 6500 would ship the "end" of this week. That's today or tomorrow unless they plan on working Saturday? I do not like the term "soon".
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'll join in with ya on the bagpipes Dave.....
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    "Barebones" - removal of what what hardware feature(s) would qualify a 6000-series Flex as "barebones"? The Flex-6K radio hardware is already 'barebones', IMHO, save the glorious embellishment of a selector control and a text display on the 6500 and 6700 radios.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Maestro-faced radio '****' Icom? Probably not, you're likely talking about a $4-8K radio that would only compete with IC-7700 and IC-7851. Would a Maestro-faced single-box radio sell well? Absolutely, but if Marstro + Flex 6000- series radios haven't killed Icom yet, bundling two items into one SKU won't likely '****' Icom. And besides, who wants to **** Icom? Until we hear what comes out tonight from Flex, they are releasing some of the most interesting radios in the past two years...
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Barbones "M", that's easy.
    6400M - a box with a power connector and a SO-239, no display.
    6200M - a box with a power connector and two SO-239s ANT1 & ANT2
    Maestro has everything else unless bluetooth is not utilized then you would need lines like PTT and audio to/from Maestro.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    How are either models you described going to win customers? What you've 'stripped' out are trivial differences that can be ignored in current models...

The 6500 has a text display, and two ant ports, I don't see how removing one ant port and a $4 display changes the price or market for this new 6400M model in any meaningful way.

The 6300 has two ant jacks and a mic jack, the 6200M would '**** off' the mic jack from a 6300? I can't see that changing the price or appealing to a set of users not currently served by existing models.

Not trying to be argumentative, just not seeing it. Thanks, Ken
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

6400 plain box/ 6400M Control head VHF
    6600 plain box/ 6600M Control head UHF

Cable the 2 control heads together for one remote vhf/uhf.

Or Single control either one plain box.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Doesn't the "M" in the new Flex Models signify a rig with a BIG "S" METER  ?
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just don't forget to include the **** dispenser.  :)
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The 6300 and 6500 are designed to sit in a shack on a shelf or whatever. A box with a power supply connector and an SO-239 can be designed with a rugged case like the Maestro and snap or mount onto the back of the Maestro. That makes it portable, hence mobile, something you cannot do with 6300 & 6500 without mounting it into a rack box so protect the expensive 6300, 6500, 6700. Or with the Maestro as the ultimate mobile head, connect to the 6400M that is safely tucked away in your trunk but connected to the Maestro via bluetooth.

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Nothing is going to **** Icom.  Besides, who would want to do that?  Icom is a great competitor and competition is good.  I think the new IC-7610 looks like a pretty nice rig and will most likely attract a lot of attention.  I for one certainly wouldn't want to only have one vendor to choose from.
  • John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited May 2017
    That was my understanding...

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Oh, how limiting, there *should* be one for each panadapter, either 2x, 4x, or 8x, based on model.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    FYI, my sources at Xenia shared a bunch of photos: http://swling.com/blog/2017/05/2017-hamvention-setup-day-photos/ Here's the only photo he has of the Flex booth during setup... image
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ken, thanks for posting pictures.  Looking forward to them this weekend.  Rich - N5ZC
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    umm hope it not forgot to relocate all cow that was here before ;-)

did really not able to find a better place ?
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The issue is the event is run by a local club, and staffed with (ultimately) several hundred volunteers. Relocating the event would likely result in the soss of possibly hundreds of volunteers. They needed to find a venue that could a) fit the number of attendees, b) remain reasonably close to Hara, and not be too expensive to rent. I think the venue is a step up from Hara.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Marc, these sort of multi-use fair/expo complexes are common and the cows are only here briefly to be shown. & judged. They are friendly places where car shows, sporting events and all sorts take place each year. Huge upgrade from Hara? My guess is yes, but the show will tell. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Still... The US could use a better venue for the major ham event of the year.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Maybe Salvador, though I am reserving judgement for after the event. Hotel this year is miles better, so off to a good start! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Putting on the event requires over 400 volunteers, to relocate the event would likely require finding several hundred replacement volunteers, up to all 400 if moved far enough away. Imagine it were held in NYC, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, or San Francisco - or really any major city - union regulations, venue fees, and associated hotel costs would all make the show too costly to put on. Dayton draws 20-25K people/year, I think they are doing something right. I've been twice, volunteered both times - and would do so again in a heartbeat, but my employer explicitly prevents me from attending Hamvention. Dayton has been successful in spite of the venue (Hara), I expect it to be even better with the improved venue.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Dayton exists where it is because of inertia to move.

When compared to Major Ham Events in REAL CONVENTIONS CENTERS such as Tokyo, Friedrichshafen or even tiny Visalia... Dayton is a MAJOR disappointment.

I will reserve final judgment until after the show but I agree with Sal.. the USA needs a better place to hold it than some cow sheds in the middle of nowhere

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Us country people love our cows.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    How about a **** caddy/cooler?  8^)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    They would have to relocate it outside of the Dayton area and I'm pretty sure DARA doesn't want to let the show go.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Personally I'm opposed to paying California prices for anything. Or javits center prices. ARRL centennial was a smaller show and was $100. No thanks
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Would be nice to see completion of the 6000 line with the 6100, a 1 Panadapter, one or two slice capability. It would be in a smaller form factor for portable or mobile operation. Price point of 1000 to 1700 dollars. Of course I will be totally wrong after tomorrow.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    So seriously, weren't we expecting at least a few "leaks" at the Thursday Night Flex Banquet? Why is no one posting any tid-bits from the dinner?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Lots of news. New products, new innovation and ideas too. FRS website should update by the show opening in the morning. Was correct on a lot of my predictions. FRS was taking a lot of orders after the banquet. 73 Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.