Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Signal ID guide

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
Looking through the web this evening, I found a signal identification guide. http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

One of the great things about SDR is that we can see a lot of different signals - including some that are pretty odd. I though I'd share this with anyone who is curious about what is on the air that isn't what we typically use.

Comments

• PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited May 2017
    thanks Michael
    73, PE3DON
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    There is an interesting application for this:
    http://markslab.tk/project-artemis/

• Steve WS5W
    Steve WS5W Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'd really like to look at you software, but all of the add make it impossible.

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You pause long enough for the "Skip this Ad" button to appear in upper right.
    When you click [Skip] the download starts immediately and completes quickly.

The misleading part is that, instead of a 'Download Complete' or other 'Thank You' page you are dumped into another ad page. It appears that there is an endless stream of ads with no indication that the download has even started.

You will, however, find "Artemis.zip" in your downloads directory.

Poorly written download mechanism.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Must be a new thing.. Sorry about the inconvenience, I didn't have a clue it now went into an ad loop. I will stop posting the address until the developer finds a less intrusive approach to advertising. In my opinion, if you want money for your software just charge for it, or let people have it for free and kindly ask for a pledge, like adaware does.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    What a coincidence, I was helping another person track down a signal - pretty tough via personal messaging, but the signal he was looking for turned out to be CODAR. Then I see it here! I'll have to check out the program. Thanks much.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited May 2017
    It's all about the Ad... I have Ad Blocker on and the page would not let me proceed unless I turned it off.  Not my cup of tea... 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yeah... It sucks. Still, the software is cool. A year or so ago we were discussing this subject here on the forum, that is how I discover this software as well as other things. The awesome thing would be for SmartSDR to recognize modes and signals.
  • PE3DON
    PE3DON Member
    edited May 2017
    i downloaded it via tor  / see at www.torproject.org
    to circomferent the add stuff. got it
    73, de PE3DON

• KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm waiting on my 6500 so perhaps I am premature but.... Since these are SDR... why can't the mode be automatically determined and decoded if desired? Or can it already?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Certainly software  can be written, It's probably seriously involved though, and not all is amateur radio related of course, with much of it being out of the ham bands. 

And there are a number of signals we will probably will never have identified, their uses shrouded in government work of various nations.

N1MM software partially solves the problem by rxid and txid. A short burst transmitted, and received can coordinate between stations, automatically id'ing and either automatically or manually switching modes.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.