Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unable to conect to my Flex 6500 via an external network using a ipad 4 running Smart SDR for ios V

Bob  KN4HH
Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Third-Party Software
Now I have to reveal my ignorance about the IT infrastructure needed to make my ipad 4 talk to the flex.  I installed the software and tested it on my home network which also supports my Flex 6500.  Everything appears to function just fine.  I then switched to my cell phone hot spot.  The ipad works fine for internet applications.  I attempted to connect to the flex.  The Discovery mode found nothing.  I then tried the Scan mode and nothing was found.  I made an assumption that maybe the UDP ports required for the ipad were not forwarded.  This is where my ignorance creeps in.  I am using a Netgear Model 6400 an AC 1750 wireless modem.  When I go to the port forwarding setup menu, it asks what specific internal ip address to forward ports to.  All of my peripherals show up on the table except the Flex. It does not show up yet functions both wired and wireless normally via my pc, Maestro, and ipad (internally).

I could sure use some assistance with this problem.

73, Bob, KN4HH 

Answers

• James T. Whitehead
    James T. Whitehead Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    William - in essence using your cellphone takes that connection off of your LAN - with that you get into needing now a VPN and when version 2.0 arrives - WAN - with my network it is a combination of Ethernet and wireless all on the same network.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I also use a VPN called OpenVPN which is on my firewall/router box. If your router has a VPN feature that would be the way to go.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You need to VPN to your network.
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Many thanks Ria, James and Mack.  I completely missed the vpn. I will try a Softether VPN server and then enable vpn on the ipad and see what more trouble I can get in.

73, Bob, KN4HH
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have a Flex 6500 and iOS devices. Everything works on my LAN. To accomplish remote operation i bought a TPLink TL-ER604W router. I have all my ports forwarded. I have tried L2TP, IPSec, and IKEV2. None have worked. Cpnnections fail. So, i installed SoftEther on my PC at home. I am able to connect sucessfully, and grab a local ip on my LAN. But if i have "pass all traffic" enabled on iOS device, i have no internet. Also, i cannot access the devices on my network back at home. Not even the router admin GUI. The SmartSDR app scans, and obviously fails to see my FLEX. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 73 de WV9L
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    How is your PC connected to your router? Is it wired or wireless?  In my experience, some wifi connections can't be bridged and therefore won't work. If it is wired you need to set up a local bridge in SoftEther, like this:

• WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Which model router? I want to go that route and quit using a pc on my network for the VPN server, for several reasons.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Just now saw your reply. Thats what it was. No bridge. Had to do a wired connection. Now id like to get a router to work as my vpn server, as ive had issues with it going down, while away and missing some DX. Had to wait and come home to reboot pc. It is a laptop and has the battery for backup, but the pc locked up. Bummer :-(

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.