Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGeniusXL

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    On the SO2R side other solid state options are a lot more expensive. Looks like $11,000-$15,000 sort of territory. Makes the PowerGeniusXL a consideration for a non-Flex shack. Before the Alpha-9500 was sharply discounted in the series of organizational death throws, it priced at a similar price point. Cool & interesting & advanced & pioneering are so seldom in the same sentence as inexpensive when it comes to technology alas. Looking forward to Matt's call for full payment and delivery instructions here! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have read the many negative posts above but here is my input.  Currently I have an Alpha 9500 paired with the FLEX-6700.  That worked fine until the last few releases of DDUtil which won't run on my Windows 10 Enterprise machines.  I appreciate the tight integration between the FLEX-6700 and the new amplifier.  There are many features to like about the PowerGeniusXL.  It was about 30 minutes after the newsletter was sent out via email that I saw it and immediately ordered one.  On a different thread there were several other indicating that they had already ordered a PowerGeniusXL.  

Here is the good news for the naysayers:  In a few months I'll have an Alpha 9500 for sale.  See, there is good news in this for everybody.

Reg
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My 9500 is already listed :-) Tim VE6SH
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have an Expert 2K-FA (cost $7K+. I impulse bought it off the show floor at Visalia DX Convention) which thanks to Steve K5FR works perfectly with DDUTIL especially since I operate remote about 80% of the time. I have a SteppIR MonstIR which covers 80M-6M so I have never used the internal ATU on the Expert since the antenna is always close enough to 1:1 SWR. I have several fan dipoles for diversity but do not run power on them. OTOH I tend to be a NERDY Purist who would want an ATU just in case I need to schlep the Amp for a contest at NX6T. The 2K-FA has 4 antenna ports and 2 input Ports. The 2K-FA will key down for hours at 2330W so it has it has tons of headroom. Genius XL $7K Price is NOT an issue Since it's in the same range of equivalent power. Genius XL is supposed to be Ethernet connected. A HUGE advantage.for remote. It will need an ATU and an Antenna Genius to be functionally equivalent to the 2K--FA BUT the XL has 2 x 1500 W LDMOS finals so HUGE Headroom PLUS a promiss of best in class IMD and maybe the ability to have Adaptive Pre-distortion. I would love a keydown test. So far my only hesitation is software. Software is always later than everyone thinks. So if I buy an XL I likely would not be able to dump the 2F-FA for a year or two until I get the remote control that I have with DDUTIL. I may yet buy one because it will be fun to play with the alpha software. The entertainment value of alpha software is easily worth $7k
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Have 2K also, could buy another 2K and get the combiner to parallel two 2K's for another $7K, could Tx 1.5Kw RTTY 24 hours a day with No Fan Noise !

73 Mike
  • Chuck Smith
    Chuck Smith Member
    edited February 2017
    Still ugly, what is that hunk of metal across the front and around that postage stamp size display. Compare to the clean modern design of the Acom front panel it looks crude and clunky
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited February 2017
    keydown for hours at 2.3K?!!! SERIOUSLY? Mine won't run over ~1100W on RTTY (which is what it is rated at - no more) ... KEYDOWN? Seems a bit of an exaggeration. I know mine came with the same sheet showing ~2400W out on all bands but 6 where it was 2K when tested before shipment (late 2011) at the factory ...  I run it legally and don't feel its designed for long term use over 2K or so.  
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2017
    I looked at the rear of all my equipment, none of them had a "pretty" back side, but then I didn't expect them to. :)
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The video was with a 2kW power supply, which was noiser than the final 3 kW 50V supply that will be in the production unit.  The final version is much quieter.  
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2017

Thanks Gerald. I know you mentioned they were working on noise mitigation. Will the amp with new PS be on display this weekend? I'm flying down in the morning.

Dave wo2x

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Gee, Howard, I figured you would be in line trying to get serial #1! Just for entertainment value . Hi Hi!
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Tim (W4TME),
    is i am understand correctly that pic.:

- it is kind of commitment of implementation of the Pure Signal in version 2.0?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Flex is not calling it pure signal...
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think they are going to call it "Effervescent Audiology Glistening in the Fresh Springtime Air (tm)"
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    kind of  spectral clean signal realized with pre-distortion algorithm

i like to have it on my Signature 6700
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I know Gerald called it something, I can't find it,,pure signal is an Anan name for it.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    it is true Bill (Pure=Anan), however i can't find here correct abbreviation
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I must have messed up by signing up on paper at Dayton and also using the web site sign up mechanism.  They must have cancelled each other out.  I haven't received any sort of notice or info yet.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    M.EffA? That's something else?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Some have said the 1.3K has a better RTTY duty cycle than the 2K. I haven't verified.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    MeffA is efficiency for Amp in general, but how the pre-distortion (TRCVR+Amp) will be called instead Springtime Air :-)
    i hope -60db IMD kind of most wanted with SDR technology here
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Call or email FRS? The PowerGeniusXL Video thread also had a link posted. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

@Ken... by the time I got up in the AM I was too late for Serial #1 and there was no way (yet) to buy my way to the head of the line like I did with several other devices...I need to have a long chat with the powers that be....

@Gary - running into a 3KW dummy load on a calibrated Wattmeter I was able to record consistent power out of 2330W for at least 30 minutes.. yes the fans worked very loudly but definitely lots of headroom.. did not put it on a spectrum analyzer so no idea as to the IMD at that power and it is not recommended. just trying to push the limits to see what it could do before it thermaled out... IIRC It thermaled at about 2,400W after a couple of minutes... Several of my EU friends run theirs at 2KW SSB consistently with no problems and no IMD Complaints.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    As far as I have heard, APD is the generic term for the process. If FRS has come up with their own company name for their own planned algorithm, I haven't heard it. But it definitely has been stated that APD will be one of their development items, in good time, and that the PGXL and 6000 rigs have both been designed with the appropriate hardware and will eventually incorporate it. Only the FRS leadership really knows when that might be. But it will be worth the wait when it arrives, I'm sure. Ken - NM9P
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, Paul, Ken, thank you, strange I have a look yesterday through the PGXL thread but propably skip this reply by Gerald. Nevertheless , well APD on the way of the real schedule and Radio 2.0(sw) appreciated
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    To be clear, they have said nothing at all about a time table. So we do not know WHEN any APD may appear.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2017
    I did not see any ordering info. I will see them at the show tomorrow and hopefully place an order. I am looking forward to seeing the amp live. Guess I will have an Acom 2000a with spare tubes for sale. Dave wo2x
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, Ken, you are right, I know rules of our game here, however push - pull also a part of the market realities , you know.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Problem solved.  Matt had no idea why I didn't originally get the e-mail blast.  I now have 2 on order!
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hmm, I did't get back also any mails or info regarding order, need to mail directly I assume

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.