Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Licensing Procedure

Options
Sherman Banks
Sherman Banks Member
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Our club is considering a Flex 6XXX purchase and will use it on a computer with no Internet access. Does Smart SDR require that the computer contact Flex for permission to run via the Internet?

Answers

• K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No.  I have no Internet at my cabin in the WV mountains and the Flex works fine without it.  I do try to store a second copy of all software used on a thumb drive, because if any of the files become corrupted there's no way to go onto the Web and get a clean version.  The Flex itself seems to update from the SmartSDR version stored on the laptop, when necessary -- without a web connection needed.

73, Dave K3ZJ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Today, the answer is no, because there isn't any strict licensing with SmartSDR v1.x  

With SmartSDR v2.x and greater, those versions will be licensed and the licensing validation process will be done using a server accessible via the Internet.  How we intend this to work is that you can download the SmartSDR 2.x client software and run it.  When it connects to the radio for the first time, if the radio has not been authorized to run SmartSDR v2.0, it will contact the license server for a valid license.  If one does not exist, you will be prompted to purchase one or not use SmartSDR v2.x.  Once the radio has received a validated license, then it will never reconnect to the license server on the Internet unless you try and run a version of SmartSDR software that requires a license and that license has not been validated.  So once your new license validated, the radio does not require access to the Internet to operate.

However, if the radio does not have access to the Internet, then you will lose out on the primary feature for SmartSDR v2.0 which is Remote Access via the Internet.  I would expect that if you are going to use the 6000 for a club station, your members may want to use the radio remotely from their own QTH and in that case, Internet access is required.
  • K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TIM -- will the connection be required to validate each update?  Or once validated for 2.0, will work with all later versions (such as 2.3, etc.)?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh no.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If I may, what Tim is saying at v2.0 will require optional purchase/validation and safe to assume from previous discussions v3.0, 4.0 5.0 and so on would be major updates and requiring purchase/validation. Makes no sense to have to validate each particular free updates (v2.1, 2,2 2.3 etc.) Once you've paid you need to validated v2.0 just once.

If you don't want up upgrade to v2.0 or any future from that, you don't have to. I would also assume if you want to skip v2.0 and maybe even v3.0 then decide to upgrade v4.0, you would not be nailed for the cost of v2 and v3. That is for those who would be off planet on some Mars mission or less likely have taken a break from ham radio. Now that the cool thing with FRS, you could leave a few years come back, upgrade your software and bingo, just like a new radio.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    Options
    David & Mike - The one-time validation is only required for major software version updates (like 2.x, 3.x, etc).

Mike - " I would also assume if you want to skip v2.0 and maybe even v3.0 then decide to upgrade v4.0, you would not be nailed for the cost of v2 and v3."

Correct

For additional information, please read the SmartSDR software Upgrade policy that is on the website
    http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/smartsdr/#smartsdr-win-tab-6
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well I guess if you were on Mars for 2 years and went from V2.0 to v4.0 
    you be missing out on all the fun say for v3.0 with having to wait a long time !
    73 Mike
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Tim W4ME

Thank you Tim - in a slightly more complex set up like mine how will the licensing schema work?  Will a sort of "Fleet License" or "Bulk License" plan be part of the offer?

(I have new purchased 6700's at each personally owned QTH, a Maestro at each, and a 6300/Maestro I help "manage" located at a friend's QTH.  Gear sometimes does get used with more than just one-paired radio via VPN connections).

To be clear I am more concerned with license/version management than worry over costs. 

I guess while I am asking how will differences in pre-paid software levels work?  (I think I have two levels prepaid for my first 6700, maybe one on the second 6700, and the 6300 was bought used but has a level prepaid by the ex-Flexer who had it).

Thank in advance,

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you Tim - in a slightly more complex set up like mine how will the licensing schema work?  Will a sort of "Fleet License" or "Bulk License" plan be part of the offer?

TBD.  This subject has been discussed, but no final policy has been set.

The license will reside on the radio.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Steve, for the purposes of licensing, the radio is the licensable entity.  In other words, you can load and run software for other versions on any computer and any Maestro, but the radio can only run licensed software.  

To illustrate, let's say your friend comes to your house with his Maestro.  He currently only has v1.x in his radio and on his Maestro, but you have two v2.0 radios.  He will be able to connect his Maestro to your network, download v2.0 and then run v2.0 on his Maestro.  Upon returning home, the Maestro will indicate that it needs to downgrade to run against his v1.x radio.  Since Maestro keeps several copies of software inside the unit, it can downgrade without internet access and then access his v1.x radios again.  The downgrade process takes about 30 seconds as I recall.  If you go to use a earlier version that you've used before on Maestro, this is what happens today.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.