Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FM deviation and emphasis

Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
As I was going through my closet, I ran across an old Heathkit IM-4180 FM Deviation meter.  Then I wondered, with 6000 series FM coming up this fall, and considering the instrument-like accuracy of the 6000 series (love the dBm readout), and since the math has to be done anyways, how hard would it be to show actual FM deviation for both transmit and receive somewhere on the SSDR display?  It would save some space in my closet.  :-)

The second thought that occurred: please allow a setting (without ripping the wings off of an angel) to turn the FM de- and pre-emphasis off for packet and other digital usage.

These are the special touches that will help separate the Signature Series from the rest of the market.
7 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Entries like this make me sorry I ever bought the **** 6500. I am going to sell it and get out of this **** mess. Take note, Tim; you got rid of me.

Jim, K6QE
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Since we will start planning for SmartSDR v1.4 shortly, I have added these requests to our feature database for consideration.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It seems like a legit feature idea to me.  Just as SSB and AM ops like to know what their upper and lower frequency limits are, it seems that an FM op might like to know the exact deviation that is being transmitted.

And I can see several possibilities where it would be handy to be able to select pre/de-emphasis, i.e. when interfacing with equipment that already has built-in pre-emphasis.  

Whether it is feasible or not is up to the programmers. 
  • Dick Illman
    Dick Illman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I also think that an FM deviation meter would be a great idea for both transmit level setting and monitoring or receive deviation. This could be integrated as a part of the audio scope feature.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.