Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Easiest way for a computer ignoramus to get Maestro on WAN?

DrJ
DrJ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a 6700 with my Windows 10 running SmartSDR 1.9.13 as well as my Maestro running the same version of SDR.   I travel out of the country a few times this winter and spring and REALLY want to bring my Maestro in order to operate WAN to remotely operate my base station Flex 6700.   But I have truly no knowledge of building VPN bridges, or anything that involves more than hooking up my computer to an ethernet modem.   So is there any way to get this accomplished, or am I just destined to wait for SDR version 2.0?   Also, when version 2.0 is released, is it allegedly "plug and play" with my Maestro and Flex???  Comments, thoughts, help???

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    At this time, you have 2 options.  Either wait for 2.0 or build some sort of VPN bridge.  You best option is if someone would take the time to make a copy of their RPI SD card and then finish the customization.

You do require a PI on the Maestro (or laptop can work) and something at the radio end to answer the VPN call.  

I'm sure there are a few that would share what they have done.  You might find they will work for ****.  :)

Sorry, but I am sure that really doesn't help you out much at the moment.

Mike va3mw
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    WAN operation is one of the features and bug fixes many of us Flex owners we are patiently waiting for.  Hopefully 2017 will be the year. 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you have a older laptop with a Ethernet Port and a WiFi adapter that work you can use it instead of the RasPi out in the world to bridge the local Internet to the WiFi then plug the Ethernet cable from the laptop in to the Maestro, this gives you the capability of being able to set the "away from home" Login and password at a motel or other location with out having to pack around a monitor and keyboard to plug into the Pi when your traveling to get the internet working on it. (it was a pain for me)

You will still need to have the other computer or RasPi server running back home on the same network as the Radio's running Softether VPN server.

I have found that it is much better using my old laptop when I'm traveling to tunnel through to get back to the home network then the Pi in my travels, you can run SoftEther VPN on a windows or Linux Platform just make sure BOTH WiFi and Ethernet works on the Laptop with what ever Operating system your using.

I have even had VERY good luck running a Windows 10' Tablet with a USB Ethernet adapter for the remote Bridge.

Just a few Idea's.
    73's and Merry Christmas
    Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.