Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will Smart SDR Beta 1.10.8 work with a Hygain DU-1 Ham IV rotor

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Will Smart SDR Beta 1.10.8  work with a Hygain DU-1  Ham IV rotor using a USB to serial cable? I presently have it working with HRD. 
Also how do you make the rotor turn on the Maestro ?

Bill
VA3QB

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill, I believe from what Tim has said, it will only provide band data...DCU-1 doesn't know from band data. Right? Hows the SDR radio know where your lat/long and whoever you happen to be talking to's lat/long is to compute great circle bearing.

I don't believe you can as Maestro is a one program Windows tablet so it has no clue what your and your contact's lat/long is. HRD knows only because you told it and, by virtue of using HRDLog and entering the Q's call it knows his as well so therefor HRDLog CAN perform the great circle bearing calculation.

Another thing that is important for you to know is the DCU-1 is a fairly dumb rotor. It does not and cannot tell you where it is pointing. The only thing it does is follow your single command to turn to this bearing (0-359). In other words in the, and I use the term 'set' very loosely, cmd set there is only 'turn it to" followed by a number.

But the main thing is the radio knows not where you are or who you may or may not be talking to.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Bill

No, as the HyGain wants beam direction information and that is not present in SSDR.  You want to use something like HRD, N1MM, PSTRotatorAZ and a few others to turn your rotator.

There are no plans to be able to drive your Beam from the Maestro to the best of my knowledge. 

Most, if not all, the USB work provided by Flex has to do  with Band Data management.  

I hope that helps ... many 73

Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.