Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmission problem

Transmission problem with cushcraft vertical R9 antenna. I have hooked up this antenna to my flex 6700 and have no response digitally or voice. The swr is about 1.8. How can I measure what the problem is and do I need to abandon this vertical antenna?thanks, jim

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good afternoon,
    Not sure I understand the problem. Is it that no one is answering your calls? There's no output from the Flex? Are you hearing stations? All bands, or just some? 
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi George. I'm receiving on all bands. It appears there is output from the flex, when I transmit the meter on the upper right show power and about 1.8 swr. Thanks.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    1.8 isn't bad for SWR. If you have a wattmeter on the output, confirm there is signal there. How much power is outbound? Do you have the auto-tuner installed and engaged? That should clear up the minimal SWR for the rig and allow full output. If you're still not getting full output, confirm the setting for maximum power isn't set too low (both in the settings/TX and on the main screen slider - separate from tune level).

At the antenna, check the resonance with an antenna analyzer or SWR bridge. What's the coax situation? Long runs of poor-quality coax can attenuate your signal a LOT. Finally, placement of the antenna matters - if it's close to a structure, odds are coupling to said structure is affecting your results. 

If all's well with the rig, you're receiving okay, and the antenna is installed properly, I'd chalk it up to the currently lousy band conditions.

Good luck!
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jim,

As George is suggesting, you need to do a basic diagnostic.

Checking power out and audio are available on your Flex, RF power should increase up to near the red zone as you transmit, so long as your RF power slider is fully to the right. If there is no audio then you will not see any power out. The Level meter also shows the level of your transmit audio. It is easy to forget to choose "mic" when wanting to use your mic audio or "Dax" when digital. I would check all these .

If this is confusing, check with another receiver that you have audio on transmit.

As my old friend George said, Good Luck.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks. I do see power out when I speak into the mic. Jim
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    I see about 40 watts out when I talk. Power level is set to 100 in setup and all the way to the right in sir. The auto tuner is engaged and I've triggered it to have the best match. Jim
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    edited December 2018
    Okay, so call a nearby ham and set up a sched with him /her. Use a repeater as your liaison frequency and see if you can work each other. Sounds like you have RF and audio and a good VSWR so you should be good to go unless you have insufficient audio, or distortion etc. So getting a ham who is within 20 miles of you to listen to your signal should put you on the right track.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks I have a friend and we are arranging exactly this. I'll give the result once we try. Thanks.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Ps, 2m and 70 cm don't work so what repeater are you referring to? Thanks, jim
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    edited December 2018
    Jim, I am in VK land so don't know an actual repeater in your area. If there aren't any nearby and your friend is within 20 miles or so, you might try a 2 metre simplex channel. Otherwise, use your phone to call  your friend and know what is going on, to make sure your contact on air is successful.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Interesting antenna... From reviews on eham, someone had the SWR down to 1.1:1  so a SWR of 1.8 seems suspect. Of course, SWR is not indicator of efficiency in a (transmit) antenna, ie. there could be significant 'real' loss and SWR would be low even though RF power is being dissipated as heat.

You could send out some CQs in JT mode and check pskreporter.info to see who is hearing you.

Good Luck,

k3Tim

• James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have used http://websdr.org/ to test my signals before as well as seeing where propogation is taking my signal
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited February 2019
    How do you use the Webster site. I went there and it just appears to be remote controlled sir radios in Europe.. thanks jim
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There are many outside of Europe, including one in the Bay Area, 69.27.184.62:8901 Determine what band you will have propagation on, and tune the remote receiver to your transmitter's output. It's a great way to get verification things work.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Are you seeing 1.8:1 after auto-tuning? My earlier comment about it being okay was referring to the "real" SWR at the antenna, before any antenna tuner.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    More results of testing: I was advised by support to use tune rather than speak into the mic. When I did this all the bands showed a very small amount of power except for 20 meters. I'm using an mfj-826b power/swr meter and an mfj-264 dummy load. Does this radio need repair? Thanks, jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes, probably.  Open a HelpDesk ticket so we can generate an RMA for you

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.