Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Difficulty using Flex 5000 to drive Alpha 87A

mike
mike Member
Having trouble with flex 5000a driving alpha 87a amp.  Keep getting fault 17 on 87a.  Some user comments indicate some transmitters have ALC spike issues that cause the 87a to fault trip.

Any Alpha 87A / Flex 5000 users out there I can talk with?

Thank you

Mike   W7PIM

Answers

• Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Not sure how you are keying the amp but make sure the PTT delay is set right. I had to increase my to about 100ms. I was using a Heil double foot switch ( caused hot switching). Now I am just using the Flex internal PTT with delay.

Cheers

Larry

• mike
    mike Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for the info Larry.   I have a foot switch plugged into the Flex TX1 keying line jack.  I have the switch relay for the TX1 jack set for 100ms.  I do not have an isolation relay between the Flex and thew alpha as is mentioned in the manual.  I have never played with the switch timing.  I think I will make some timing adjustments and see how the amp reacts.

I see that you are in Garland, I am in Heber Valley.  During 7QP contest the world is always looking for those rare northern Utah counties.

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.