Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR iOS 1.0.8 Low Audio on iPhone 7

W9WLX_Chuck
W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for iOS
I'm using Smart SDR iOS 1.0.8 with a 6500 on an iPhone 7 Plus.  If I listen to the audio through the iPhone, the volume is low with all volume controls set to max (phone & software).  The audio seems to be the same as a phone call not on speaker.  Am I missing a control to put the iPhone audio on its speaker?  I looked in Settings>>SSDR and didn't see anything there or elsewhere.  No issues if I switch the audio to the speakers on the Flex--this works as expected.

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Settings --> Defaultto Speaker
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the detailed screen shots!  It all checks out, this is the way I have it set.  The audio is coming out of the iPhone, but as if it is a non-speaker phone, phone call.  The audio was on the iPhone speaker on my iPhone 5, but since upgrading to the iPhone 7 plus, I only get "phone call" audio.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Can you toggle speaker on the third screen
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Yes, I tied toggeling with the option on the third screen.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I don't have an iPhone 7 so I can't duplicate it.. but it works on my 6+ and various iPad's

So I guess we will need Marcus to come up with suggestions..

• W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    OK, this was my experience too.  Worked as expected on the iPhone 5, not fully compatible on iPhone 7 Plus.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Chuck, sorry I was on the Electronica Fare in Munich last week and not able to respond sooner.

(Thanks Howard for your fantastic response to Chuck)

The App is indeed fully compatible to the iPhone 7 plus (and 7) so I am wondering what the problem could be here.

I personally have a couple devices, including the 7 and 7 plus (and 6 plus and older or course) which all behave the same in this respect.

Chuck, can you please try the following:

- Start the SmartSdr App
    - Go to settings and set "Default to Speaker" to on
    - Set "Allow Stereo" off
    - Close the App (which will save these settings)

Now, restart your phone completely.

- Start the App again.
    - Connect to your FlexRadio
    - Ensure that sound is diverted to your iPhone (Left Audio Menu -> "Device Audio" set to "On" and the top Speaker Icon enabled)
    - Now go to Settings inside the App
    - The "Default to Speaker" setting should still be on.

Now, please toggle this Setting to Off and On again and you should note a real difference between On and Off.

When Off, indeed, only the top ear speaker will be used, when On, also the bottom Speaker will be used which should result in an improved audio quality for the App.

But please note: As the iPhone 7 (and Plus) now have Stereo Speakers and since the Top and bottom Speakers are physically different, Apple tried to adjust the physical difference of both speaker via Software which results in a lower Audio gain compared with the older Phones but you can increase the gain by using the recently added Sliders "Speaker volume adjust". However, when comparing both Phones (the 6 and 7) side by side, the 6 (and older) devices with Mono speakers simply sound better than the new Stereo 7 speakers - Of course, for Music in Stereo, this is the other way round.

vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE

• W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Thanks Marcus.  Rebooting the phone corrected the problem.  I now have good audio out of both sides of the phone.  Toggling the "Default to Speaker" turns all audio on/off.  Toggling the "Allow Stereo" switches the audio from what I had before to the desired audio.  The desired audio is when the "Allow Stereo" is set to off.

-73, Chuck, W9WLX

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have had some inconsistency with audio routing in the iPhone 7 plus. Echolink has had that issue as well. I believe it has to do with the elimination of the analog headphone jack so that some apps get "confused" as to where to go. iPad and my iPhone 6 plus don't have that issue. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.