Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5000 and 6300 CAT with SPE 1K-FA (Second CAT on Same PC?)

Options
Paul - K6HR
Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
I just acquired an SPE 1K-FA amplifier. I have it running with my 6300 thru DDUtil V3 no problem. I also have my 5000 connected and working, but in DDUtil I must choose one radio or the other, and it does not appear possible to run two instances of DDUtil on the same PC.

The SPE amplifier will accept a CAT connection from each of two radios, so my question: Is there a hidden way to run 2 instances of DDUtil? Or is there another similar app that will allow me to get an RS232 output from the 5000 while the 6300 operates thru DDUtil?

I need to get radio#1 and radio# 2 RS232 CAT output simultaneously from the same PC if possible.

Answers

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    A second slice on your 6300 wont do what you are doing on the 5000?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You can connect the 5000 directly to the SPE.
    Anything in particular that you want to do with the 5000 and DDUtil?
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's what I'd like to do. So I tried a USB to Serial adapter COM29, I set PowerSDR CAT to COM29 and built the cable to connect the 9 pin USB COM port to the SPE DB-15 connector for TXD, RXD and GND and RTS/CTS pins are shorted . I tried setting SPE CAT for both Kenwood and Flex and still no joy.

If you have a Flex 5000 connected directly to the amplifier I'd love to know exactly how you do it. Thanks for all your help with this!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am looking for it but I don't find it.
    I was pretty sure that I was doing it with my Flex 1500 and the SPE...

Still, until I find something or Flex responds here officially I can think of a way around it.

I do not need to use Passive Listener to get the SPE amp to follow the radio. Just having the SPE Expert 1k connected to the computer and DDUtil is enough. 

You could create a parallel Serial virtual port with VSP for the 5000 and use that one in DDUtil. But I have not done this myself. And I am also not sure if you can run two instances of DDUtil.

Sorry if I got your hopes up but I was fairly certain the Flex 5000 had Band Data out of the radio.....
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The SPE has two inputs for Radio # 1 and #2. I have the Flex 6700 on input #1 and tghe FT-950 on input #2, both running CAT controlled from the PC.  Believe it or not you can use an RS232 Y to split the CAT to the SPE and to the FT950, without doing anything else. Leave DDUtil running. It works for me, so I think the 5000 should also work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.