Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wireless headsets

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
First let me start out by saying that I really dislike cables and cords, therefore I'm trying to find the best wireless headset and microphone solution possible.

I had been using a Jabra wireless headset for a number of years with great success.  The problem with the Jabra is that it is monaural - only covers one ear so doesn't cover stereo. 

Lately I've been using an inexpensive set of wireless stereo headphones that are designed for watching TV or listening to your tunes from a stereo amp.  I use them at night for SSB or for when I'm running CW.  They hook up directly to the Flex, provide stereo which works great on the Flex (diversity etc.).  Problem is the wireless headphones don't include a microphone.

Now I'm in the process of looking for a new headset.  I've come across the HyperX gaming headset which is USB.  That would mean I'd have to plug them directly into the computer and deal with the latency issues.

I always have a PC or laptop running even when using my Maestro, so I am assuming I can run the headset through a computer and remote into the Flex even while using the Maestro?  

Does anyone here use a wireless headset?  What works well and what is the best way to configure them.  Is the latency a major issue? 

It would be nice if Flex offered a wireless headset that would work directly with the 6000 and the Maestro.  One headset, both devices. WOW.... Until that happens, I'm searching......

Norm - W7CK

Answers

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Do I hear rumors of Bluetooth coming to the Flex6xxx?

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Your best bet is going to be in the gaming arena. There are lots of wireless headsets for game consoles (Xbox, Playstation). The Turtle Beach brand comes to mind.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The problem as I see it with Bluetooth is that each device requires specific drivers.  That would be nearly impossible for Flex to ever implement yet maintain.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I understand it at the moment.
  • KB3SI
    KB3SI Member
    edited December 2016
    I use a cheap Bluetooth device to plug into the phone jack and to my Bluetooth Bose QC35. If you turn on the monitor function you will hear an echo. With the monitor function turned off it works fine. I have only used it to receive audio and not to transmit, but the QC35 does have a mike built in.
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Norm, I've been using a Logitech Bluetooth headset (H800 I believe. it's not currently with me)  for awhile now with great results. Latency has never been an issue at all with my setup and knowledgeable people tell me it sounds good and unless I had told them they would have never known it was wireless. Rechargeable battery life is 5 - 6 hours and I quite like it.

• Glenn
    Glenn Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There are some really nice wireless aviation headsets with VOX for transmit control.   Starting price is $1000-1200.   They are VERY comfortable, being light and designed for mega-hours of wearing.    

I know of no amateur or gaming brands that don’t start hurting my ears after several hours.

Glenn W0GJ

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I also use the H800, mostly on the OSX side, but I might try on the Windows side as well. It beats my 200 dollar plus Heil headset hands down, and a quarter of the price. And so comfortable I sometimes forget to take it off!  Would love Flex to incorporate Bluetooth right in the radio.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    I use the H800 with my computer for telephone and other non-ham uses.

It doesn't seem to get a whole lot of battery life and once drained (in the middle of a QSO) it has to be charged up. I can't be use the headset while recharging. 

I also have a Plantronics Blackwire C720 bluetooth/USB headset. This charges from USB while in use. USB can also be used for audio instead of BT.

Neither have been used for ham radio yet but I've had real nice reports from both on Jabber. Both of these are light weight, dual speaker, on-the-air. They've both been comfortable during long hours of audio books and converence calls.

Kev K4VD
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Are you certain you cannot use it as it charges? I'm using the headset right now as it is charging.  How are you charging it? I'm running it off a USB port. The only thing I'm not wild about it that I can't use it with Vox. Have to operate it as remote, and use the footswitch. But worth it IMO
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's interesting.  I have the H800 and I use it with my phone.  When I try to connect and use it through my PC, I can't seem to get enough microphone gain.  I have to have everything cranked up all the way just to drive the radio and people still have a hard time hearing me.

I'll have to give it another try.  Maybe there is a better PC driver available now for the H800.  I have to admit, it is about as light as one can get although I do have some issues with the ear buds.  They start irritating the inside of my ears after they are in there for an hour or so.

Norm
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Correction to my previous post. The H800 does seem to charge on USB without interfering with audio. Maybe I'm thinking of an LG HBS-1100 headset I have (not suitable for ham use). 

I'll have to give the H800s and the Plantronics a try on the bands someday.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I gave my H800 another try last night.  While I still have the issue of low mic gain, the headset does work fairly well.  I still have to have the mic gain all the way up though.  The headset has the microphone built into the left side.  If I speak directly into the left side of the neck wrap around, it works quite well.  Its just a pain having to hold it up to my mouth so I don't do it very often.

This headset has great mic gain while using it paired to my phone.  I don't understand what the issue is when used with my laptop.  If I could get this one issue addressed, I'd be an extremely happy camper.

Norm - W7CK

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Are we talking about the same headset? My logitech H800's are not neck wraps and the mic is on a foldaway boom on the right side.

I still haven't checked the microphone sensitivity.  In Radio Setup under the Phone/CW tab there's a +20dB button. I think there's also a gain control in Windows sound setup.

I have a set of LG neck wraps. I wouldn't trust the microphone being tucked under my (bearded) chin and not sure how the ear buds would feel after a few hour session. Over-ear with a boom seems like the best setup.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oops, I was referring to the LG H800.   Sorry. Thanks for clarifying with a picture!

I thought the +20dB was for a directly connected microphone.  Are you saying it also works when running REMOTE to a PC where you have your H800 headset plugged into?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    I was wrong about the +20dB. I was just looking for things for you to try and was way off track with that one. Sorry about that.

It doesn't surprise me the neck band where the microphone is under your chin has low mic gain. I have that problem with my LG HBS-1100 and people complain about my low audio on phone calls all the time. There's probably some precise location the mic has to be in for it to work well. Too bad because they are very comfortable.

Having an acoustically opaque beard apparently, I need to get the mic out in front of my mouth. The Logitech H800 and the Plantronics Blackwire C720-M both seem to do a good job. The Plantronics is meant for call centers where long wear (and irate customers) are the norm. I think the H800s are intended for gaming and while they feel plasticky they are pretty darn comfortable.

I'm hoping both do a good job with SSB. I have some other good options but these lightweights are comfortable. Now I have to get up the guts to "talk". Darn mic shyness.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Steve - Nope.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve,  you may have heard Maestro Bluetooth rumors but not the 6X00 series.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The nice thing about rumors is that you only believe the ones that appeal to you. 

I just got fitted with hearing aids that are Bluetooth compatible.  I can control them from my iPhone or iPad.  When they get here, I can't wait to plug a Bluetooth adapter into my Flex and see how that works.  I can remote from the breakfast table and the XYL won't have a clue what I'm doing.  :)

• Rose Smith
    Rose Smith Member
    edited June 2017
    I would like to purchase headphones for my husband. But have now idea what To get. I've read your comments and still have no idea what to get. Please help
  • Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Norm, Why not replace your single ear Jabra headset with a dual ear like this ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabra-PRO-9450-Black-Headband-Headsets-9450-65-507-105-/252977853429?hash=item3ae6a7b3f5:g:YzcAAOSwi7RZNy9W I've been using one of these for years. The range is great. ...Gary

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.