Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Maestro - Issues

KC9NRN
KC9NRN Member

The update to the Maestro and radio went without a hitch, I selected 1.8.4. However after it rebooted to complete the upgrade I got this error screen.

I powered the Maestro off, waited a few minutes then powered it back on and it came on with no errors. However when I select 80m from the menu it turns off the RX and TX buttons, I can select other bands but 80m will always turn RX and TX off making me press the blue button on the screen to get them back but it won't go to 80m.

So I don't have 80m.... 4 reboots didn't resolve it but it does now boot to 80m, you just can't hear it until you tap a freq on the screen, but if you switch to another band and then try to switch back to 80, it repeats the problem so right now in order to get to 80m I have to select 80, let it turn off RX and TX, reboot and I can then use it.

Not how I expected to be using it tonight.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    That is the pits. I cringe every time I fire mine up . . . Is it gonna boot today??? I really don't think this was ready to be released but that is just by opinion. One morning it took me 20 minutes of turning it off and on to get it working right.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

I figured I'd power everything down and let them all sit for a few minutes. I then powered the radio on, connected to it via the computer (after replacing 1.8.3 with 1.8.4) and everything looks to be working normally there so it's not the radio, whew!

I then disconnected from the radio and waited a moment and powered on the Maestro and it went to 80m where I left it when using the computer. It also displayed the frequency and the RX and TX buttons were lit and I could hear the QSO going on which gave me hope that maybe this worked.

So I changed the band to 20m and waited a minute then switched to 80m and it works!!! So feeling brave I powered down the Maestro and brought it back up and it's still working.

I was thinking about asking to have this thread deleted but maybe it might help somebody else. I do wonder what caused that first error  though, maybe that caused the problem and it took a few reboots including rebooting the radio twice to get things baked in?

It does look like it's working well now, I'm going to install the battery and take it around the house next.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Make sure the internal battery gets a chance to charge fully. I am not sure if that is the culprit but it seems that several people that I have spoken to that use the Maestro right away after arrival without charging the internal battery run into issues.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Salvador,

You're right, I heard that as well and forgot about it. I had it plugged in for 5 minutes or so before turning it on but didn't think about the internal battery.

I can't see how it should come into play when plugged in but we'll see what Tim says when he reads this. I'm going for a stroll around the house to see how wireless does.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Glad you got it working.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

I walked to every corner of the house and wireless worked great, the battery is working great and I switched bands and tuned frequencies, looks good!

Haven't transmitted yet, will do that soon.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    One absolutely needs to have the internal battery fully charged BEFORE starting up the Maestro. Or you will get errors.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    From the output you provided, it looks like the code in FlexLib that process received TCP network messages had an error. Looks like the received data was shorter than expected. If I had to guess, I'd say it was "just one of those things" ... Something random happened that should never happen. I realize that's no real help to you in determining how to avoid this problem in the future. But, as a programmer who's had more than his share of application errors similar to the one displayed, that's what it looks like to me. Peter K1PGV
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Peter,

Agreed, going through the lines of the error I know it was grasping at straws regarding 80m and likely only affected that session.

I let it run for several hours and it worked fine throughout.

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    My issue were IP address related and not the Maestro . . . Just to clarify
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This is a benign error.  What happened is that we performed a substring operation on some data received from the radio and it was not the proper length.  We did not have the appropriate logic applied to the operation to handle the situation gracefully.  This issue will be corrected in the next version of SmartSDR for Maestro (defect #3759).
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Tim, it seems to be working well now. Any idea why selecting 80m did what it did?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I can only surmise that when a band change is done, it destroys the slice resource before tuning the panadapter and then recreates the slice resource.  I suspect this action corrected the anomaly caused by the substring operation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.