Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 1550 - 3000 + 2m transverter

I have a Yaesu 991 for VHF contesting, really a good radio on 2m, equivalent to a 275 Icom.
I wish to improve using a transverter+sdr. I plan to buy a transverter from HA1YA.
Which differences will I espect using a Flex 1550 vs a second hand 3000? Will I find differences/difficulties compared SSDR with 6500 that is fantastic? I evaluated a second hand 5000 with Flex VHF/UHF module but the cost is higher and I think that in contest Gabor transverter is better.
6500 stays at home while contesting is done on the hill with another PC, but I'afraid with a I3 notebook to have issues on  Firewire, while 1500 is USB interfaced. Maybe someone made some experience to share.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The 1500 is designed specifically for transverter use with a split IF and low power transverter output along with the ability to connect it to a 10 MHz disciplined external oscillator for greater frequency stability and accuracy.

The 3000 has none of those features.

The 1500 and 3000 are highly dependent on the quality of the PC connected to it and the PC to radio interface.  The 5000 has a better RX than the 3000 and 1500 and has all of the same transverter features as the 1500.  If you get a 2nd hand 5000 without the V/U module and use it, it should make a very cost-effective and high-performance VHF station.

Although 6500 would beat all three of the FLEX Series SDRs in performance.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I used my Flex-1500 with an Elecraft 222 Transverter and also a Downest Microwave 1296 transverter.  The Flex-1500 is perfect for Transverter use.  I also picked up a 10Mhz reference on ebay and used it on the 1500.  Having the panadapter was very helpful trying to work weak 1296 stations as many stations were off frequency and you could spot them with the panadapter.  I kinda of regret selling my 1500.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited July 2018
    Tim, may I use an i3 notebook?
    Wich 10 Mhz reference did youi buy Burch?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    An i3 might be a little underpowered depending on the radio being used with it. It might be OK for the 1500, but running a 5000 at a 192k sampling rate might not provide a satisfactory operating experience. I built my own 10 MHz reference using a surplus LPRO 101 Rb clock. Google it. There is a lot of info on it.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I had a Trimble Thunderbolt 10MHZ reference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.