Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keying Maestro with N1MM+ produces no local CW side tone - what is the trick?

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Finally I got Maestro working with N1MM, SDR CAT 1.7.30,   and CW but I cannot get local CW side tone. I hear that is keying correctly (keing clicks) and gets out with RF power. I use DTR CW keying thru the different hints on the reflector. Guess it somethong simple I am omitting....

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Ran into the same thing but wasn't sure if it should work.  Tim?

Maestro uses WinKey through network to key the radio with a local (in Maestro) monitor.
    N1MM+ uses a different version of WinKey through CAT on the computer, then through network to key the radio.

So the question is: "Should Maestro listen for other keying sources and create a monitor?"

I was setting up for a contest (Canada Day RAC contest as a special station - VE7RAC) so quickly plugged both paddle and headphones into the 6700 - It worked well.

BTW: Maestro is a great contest front end - Once I learned to hold the RIT in long enough that it didn't shut down my run RX/TX slice A  :-)

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I discovered the same thing.  There does not seem to be any setting to make it audible from the Maestro speaker.  My home Maestro operating position is near the Flex 6300.  I can hear the sidetone coming of the radio power speaker...but is not balanced.   It is much lower than the Maestro keyer.  When I adjust the Maestro "sidetone" for proper loudness with the paddles, the N1MM sidetone out of the power speaker is hard to hear.  When adjusting the Maestro sidetone to hear it out of the radio, the local Maestro keyer is blasting!  Too loud!  I do not see a way to "balance" this.  Unless I get 100 watt speakers!
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Bill and Stan, thanks for input. As you say Stan the N1MM keying seems through it's own Winkeyer Channel apart from Maestros. And I read on a thread that Maestro's CWX is synced with 6X00's CWX somehow. Can Maestros CWX be accessed somehow? Bill I also found the CW sidetone distorded regardless of RF output level (so it is no RFI issue). I plan to run IARU HF Contest this weekend but this sidetone will ruin my ears. Guess only thing is to use pc sidetone.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The behavior you are observing is correct.  Sidetone at the Maestro is only produced when using the internal Winkeyer that is integrated into the Maestro.  
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

OK Tim now that is out of the way.  Apologies for my writing style - comes from being a programmer/consultant for 50 years.

Suggestion side - Premise:

1. The 6700 will probably be rack mounted with a rack UPS as all servers should be.
    2. Control will be away from the rack - Possibly in the same room and building, but definitely network only attached
    3. N1MM+ or similar programs will be used with associated plethora of applications, monitor(s), keyboard, and mouse.  Therefore a local computer is likely (I use a 4"x4" Intel NUC)
    4. Headphone (headset actually, with this unused thing called a mic) and paddle connected to either Maestro or computer.  Maestro only for the paddle as N1MM and CAT don't have a direct paddle input.
    5. Network delay and jitter remain a consideration

How can the operator maintain full control if a RADIO transmit monitor is not available? 

Suggest a monitor feedback FROM the radio TO Maestro for BOTH CW and all other modes; and / or can the remote clients (SSDR or Maestro) currently monitor ALL activity via remote audio?

I foresee my 6700 in the clubhouse with Maestro(s) at several clubhouse rooms as well as at one or more homes.  Future business? 4 Maestro sales per radio server 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The issue is latency.  If sidetone is not generated by a device local to the operator, the data propagation delay time will be so great that the paddle press will not be in sync with the sidetone heard. It is hard to break the laws of physics.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.