Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise reduction

Options
James Madden
James Madden Member
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
What is the Best way for noise reduction. I have a lot of noise and the noise floor is loud and about 120db.

Answers

• Andreas Junge
    Andreas Junge Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Which band 160M?

Turn on WNB
    Turn on NB

Reduce the AGCT value, engage the filters. It's not about how loud a signal is, but how much it sticks out of the noise.

Use a separate receive antenna (loop or active noise canceled verticals)

Hunt for noise sources in your house like dimmers, washing machines.

There probably is nor one-fits-all answer though :-)

73, Andreas, N6NU 

• James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Typically 20m. I soon will have 2 vertical antennas. How can i use those to reduce noise. Vielen dank Andreas.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

Noise is a very complex subject. The best way to reduce noise is at the source. If you can identify what's causing your noise, you can mitigate it with filters, shielding, grounding, etc. It can be a long process with no single solution.

Start in your shack - make sure your cables are top quality. Even a small coax jumper with low shield, or a poorly attached connector can let a lot of noise in. I use LMR400 at VHF and for all jumpers. RG213 for HF runs.

Grounding -- you can never have a perfect ground, but almost everyone can improve.

Power supplies - banish switching supplies (there are a few good ones, but most consumer switchers are very noisy), including wall-warts.

Look at, study, and implement KY6LA's recommendations on how to build a quiet shack. Search the Community for the link. Howard's advice is GOLD.

PS - 120 db on the panadapter? That depends on the bandwidth, so is not a good measurement. Look at the S-meter (hover over it for dBm) using 400 Hz filters and no processing or preamps. If you see 8-10 dB increase between dummy load and good antenna, you've probably done all you can.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Its none of my equipment. Its just lots of noise, no spikes or anything, receive signal. Its there even if there are no signals.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What band are you seeing -120dBm? Noise floor is very dependent on the band and your local,environment. -120dBm is quite reasonable for 20M in a city.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.