Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro: What's wrong with this picture?

Martin AA6E
Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Maestro
This is what greeted me when I switched on this morning - after a longish startup delay.  A pretty Windows 10 screen (wrong time zone!).  You could find more items of interest by dragging screen up and down.  I had to do another cold start to get into SSDR.

Apparently there was something odd about how I shut down last night?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    The SmartSDR for Maestro app did not auto start.

To recover, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds or until the display goes completely dark.  Wait 10-15 seconds and then do a normal startup by pressing the power button for 5 seconds and then releasing.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Tim,

The SmartSDR runs as a service right?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It runs as an app at boot time.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Wouldn't it be more stable if run as a service where if it has an issue it can restart itself? I'm not a programmer, just wondering.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    may i ask to wly it not Linux based just like the Radio ?

a soon you put windows on something you louse control of it ;-)
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bad feeling on startup what do you do if you see the warning, waiting on hardware initialization (ETH) ????????
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Nordic....a service does not usually have a GUI were as an application is designed to interact with the user on the screen. Marc, SmartSDR in the radio is indeed a Linux application, however the SmartSDR client which includes all the API's are written using Visual Studio and .Net. If the Maestro would have been developed to run on Linux the FlexRadio would had to write all new client API's for that platform. Running an imbedded version of Windows on Maestro simplified and sped the release of the product while protecting the investment on the Windows API libraries.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What I find weird is my understanding of embedded OS is the application is what runs, there is no desktop OS that then, upon boot, loads and executed program. From what Martin said it's appears Windows 10 starts first then it loads SSDRfM. I would not have expected that. Perhaps that is just Microsoft's product marketing, lest someone not realize they are, in deed, running a Microsoft product.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    SSDRfM (client) seems to work pretty much the same way as SSDRfW.  It runs as an app on Windows 10, which is normally autostarted after the OS boots.  (You could set it up that way on your PC if you wanted.) 

The good news here is that there is a real Windows 10 in the Maestro that could be made to run a Windows desktop -- or various other Windows apps -- if only Flex would let us.  I am waiting for a creative hacker to enable this -- on a "jailbroken" Maestro.  Me, I'm too timid, I tried opening the case but I stopped after I saw that I'd have to break some anti-tamper seals.

A stupidly simple hack would be to enable Internet clock syncing and to display a proper UTC clock on the screen.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I forgot the name of the registry key used, RunOnStartup or some such but one could simply add an entry for your favorite program and once windows finished the boot process it would start your program. So I guess the issue is, is that really how 'embedded' Windows works or is Maestro simply a Windows tablet with knobs and switches that is forced to run a single app only. Not that it makes much difference, it is what FRS sells.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    "a service does not usually have a GUI were as an application is designed to interact with the user on the screen. "

Most programs can be made to start as a service GUI or no, interaction comes after the service has started. I'm not meaning to debate it, just was wondering because I have had fewer issues using a program starting as a service, where if it doesn't start properly you can have it try again. 

I'm sure Flex had very good reasons for not doing it that way.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I'd be happy if I could have use my call sign displayed as a watermark on the Maestro. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.