Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Amp Suggestions

13»

Answers

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Just to update this thread from a month ago:

I've also recently started considering an amp/tuner combo.  To make a long story short, the lead-time for the SPE 1.3K-FA is currently projected to be just a bit less than ONE YEAR (this, according to Bob Hardie of Expert Linears).  And that's a projection, not a guarantee.  The cost, with tuner, is about US$5K, including CONUS shipping.

The KPA/KAT combo ships more or less from stock, and costs about US$3K.  And while the technology isn't really quite as cool as the SPE, it's probably more of in the range of power that I'd use.  I'm really not a full kilowatt kind of guy.

So... that's the latest update.

Peter
    K1PGV

• AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You won't regret it. I still don't. Some day I'll probably want to go for the full gallon but for now I'm very happy with my KPA-500/KAT-500 combo.

I finally got everything installed and setup the way I want it and it's fantastic: http://images.mikew.org/kpa-500rack/6.JPG

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    "Different strokes for different folks!"

I put my name on the list around the same time as last year's Dayton Hamvention, and got my beautiful SPE 1.3K-FA a month ago. I got one without the built in antenna tuner (it adds a little size and weight to the pair, but it is less expensive and LDG's antenna tuner has a MUCH greater match range).

I can do a 'full gallon' using a non-dedicated 120 VAC line and controlled with DDUtil.

Ya never know when you'll need an extra 3dB.

(Your mileage may vary.)

Good luck with your choice.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2016
    Mike, 

Love the rack mount. Any plans you have as to how you accomplished this? Did you set this up to be able to take on the go with you, should you need to?

Rob
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    FYI.. one thing about the Expert amps.. MARS operation they suggest the 2K and it has to be programmed (extra cost), one of the models will not work for MARS at all, forget which one... Elecraft KAT/KPA combo no programming required. 
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rob, absolutely NOT set up to be on the go. Although everything is attached fairly well to the shelves, the racks only have front posts so there is no rear support. I like it for the clean installation and appearance. Not to mention fragility of components, excessive weight, or amazing cost of the contents of that rack.

I don't personally see the "Flex model" of SDR as a viable portable station. I've given a good deal of thought to what would get me to purchase a "portable Flex" and a product could be made, but right now it's not in Flex's lineup. I have a KX-3 for portable use that works great.

Anyway, the rack was custom made by NovexComm , based on their K3 rack and extended to have the KAT-500 sit on top. We had some problems with their aluminum shelf holding the weight of the KPA-500 but I talked it over with them and we added some U channel stiffeners across the shelf near the front and rear feet to solve the problem. I highly recommend NovexComm, they really went the extra mile to accommodate my request and their prices were reasonable.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I use the acom 600s. Will easily put out 800 on ssb. Use it in RV with a MFJ 998 auto tuner. Just hit the tune button on flex and everything auto band changes. It all fits in one of the cabinets in the RV nice andneat with just flex knob,mouse and surface 3 on desk
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

It is worth waiting to make a selection until the Dayton 2016 announcements, just in case the "game changes" for amplifiers too! 

Steve K9ZW

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Have an SPE1K brilliant amp linear PSU if you dont need to worry about weight

1150w on 20 key down

never misses a beat work a lot of dx

instant on n ready ...tuner etc great

def would buy another

cheers

Simon
  • Mark - W6MSB
    Mark - W6MSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Roy -- which LDG tuner are you using??
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I am using the LDG AT-1000ProII. It has some problems recognizing high SWR on 28.380MHz, but generally it has performed well.

If I had it to do all over again, this time I might have chosen an MFJ-998 - It seems a bit more "polished" with a more informative display (you just have to play "Russian Roulette" with MFJ's poor excuse for Quality Control).
  • Mark - W6MSB
    Mark - W6MSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for your response. Rookie question -- can the LDG AT-1000ProII handle the full 1300 watts from the amp? I get that it's probably not a full 1.3K, but you haven't seen any problems?

I have the same concern with MFJ products. No regrets on not getting the internal tuner?

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I have not regretted not getting the built-in tuner - I saved $1K and my fan dipole needs more than a tuner designed for 3:1 SWR correction.

The trouble with antenna tuners is that their actual power rating depends to a degree on what the SWR is that they are correcting and the amount and kind of impedance they are using to get near to 1:1. The LDG has published ratings of 1,000W SSB PEP, the MFJ has published ratings of 1,500W. Perhaps there is a difference in design that allows for more power handling, perhaps it is just the marketing department being creative...

When I chose the LDG it had the widest match range 1:10 (the MFJ model was a dream in a circuit designer's mind). I figured that the SPE was designed for 1.3KW at most, so I would try not to pour on full power until I got very comfortable with my present setup.

I haven't tried to max out my SPE 1.3K yet  I'm waiting for a LP-500 to evaluate linearity and distortion parameters.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.