Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I would like a cough button.

KM6CQ - Dan
KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
When operating SSB I use VOX with my wireless headset. The VOX works great. I do have a foot switch for PTT if I am not using VOX. I would like to utilise that momentary foot switch to disable able VOX. That way if I cough, give orders to the dog, obey orders from upper management, (XYL) I could activate the foot switch until the QRN is gone. 

Thanks,   Dan KM6CQ

Comments

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    A few weeks back I posted a utility that might work for you. It provides foot switch control of the VOX button. Take a look here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/push-to-vox-version-1-0-0-is-now-available
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Dan,
    If K1DBO "Push to VOX" suggestion does not work; release your foot switch.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hi Donald.
    Thank you for your response. I am trying to set this up. It looks like it will accomplish what I am looking for. At this point I can not get the app to see SCAT but SCAT see's the app. There is no radio to select in the radio box. Do you have any suggestions? 

Thanks,   Dan 

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It looks like we have two problems here.  The first is likely due to my less than verbose instructions.  The COM port setting in Push to VOX should be set to the physical COM port to which you've connected your foot switch.  Push to VOX does not need SmartSDR CAT to be running at all (though your setup might want it for other reasons).

The second problem is that Push to VOX is not seeing your radio but your screen shot of SmartSDR CAT makes it obvious that there is a radio on your network.  When you first ran Push to VOX, you should have been prompted by Windows (which version btw?) to allow it access to your network.  

If you didnt allow network access Push to VOX wont be able to control your radio. Fixing that problem is pretty easy.  Just select the firewall settings from your control panel and look for the "Allow program or feature..." option on the left.  From there, scroll down until you see push-to-vox.exe and make sure the check box to the left of it is checked along with the check boxes to it's right.

After making sure the firewall is set, the radio should appear in the radio selection box.  Restarting Push to VOX shouldnt be necessary, but it wont hurt either.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Two options I can think of... 1) use push to VOX, but with a switch wired N.C. So that pressing it interrupts the ability to do VOX. The downside is that if push to VOX is ever turned off, you will have a dead-keyed rig. 2) investigate the TX inhibit/enable jack on the back of the 6500/6700. I don't know if the 6300 has one. A properly wired switch may keep the rig from transmitting when pressed. This jack is used to keep multi-multi operations from transmitting on the same band at the same time....I.e. The run and the S&P multiplier hunter cannot transmit at the same time. It is also used to keep the transmitter from going hot until the external amplifier's relays have engaged on some amps. But you might be able to leverage it for a cough switch.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Push to VOX works with a foot switch connected to a hardware COM port on the computer.  It does not work with the radio's hardware PTT switches.  Sadly, the API makes that impossible.  So, there's really no problem with using Push to VOX with a foot switch in NC mode. 

Now with that said, Push to VOX already has support for toggling the VOX state.  All it takes is a quick tap of your foot to enable/disable VOX.  The latching behavior is there in case you're not quite sure you're ready for VOX.  But, talk long enough and VOX will automatically be engaged.

Any attempt to convince me that the tap-to-toggle feature is too difficult to use will likely be met with a new version of Push to VOX that supports a push to cough option ;)  I will strive to make Push to VOX the leader in the foot controlled transmit capability market for the Flex Signature series radios!
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, I thought your idea to use the TX REQ jack was brilliant and decided to give it a try.  Sadly, it doent work as cough switch.  Once the transmission has already started, the state of the jack wont affect it.  However, a switch connected to the TX REQ jack can be used to to prevent a transmission from starting.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Another option is to wire up a real cough switch box like thy have in radio stations. An XLR female to a XLR male with a spewing return switch that opens the mike line momentarily.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    A cough switch is the solution
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ha! I just noticed my auto-corrupt error...."spewing" instead of "spring" return switch!
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Google "rolls ms111 mic switch". $44 with free shipping. Problem solved. Peter K1PGV (No relation, blah blah blah)
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Most of the wireless headsets I've used have a small mute button built into the device.  I'm sure you've already check this though......

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.